New boad advice

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Angie
Local (More than 25 post)

New boad advice

Post by Angie »

Hiya

Ok 3 weeks ago i got a new board shaped 6'1"-23"-2 7/8, its a thruster fitted with "K" fins. iv ridden this board now in 2 to 4ft conditions, and it goes epic in 4ft, i can finally kick the tail out an stuff,but bogs in smaller waves, not much drive and not responsive to turns... i cant get vertical. i believe this to be becuase of my rather weighty issue...any way im now wanting something for even smaller surf, like the 2ft ankle snappers so im thinking of going shorter and wider: 6'0 (im 6'1") by 24" or 24.5" keeping the 2 7/8 (my thinking is the width will make up for loss in length for bouyincy (im128 kgs "gulp"), thinking about trying out a quad fin setup. does this sound like a good plan?

any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Angie
Bumps
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bumps »

Angie,

It's important to find a shaper you can connect with, understands and respects what you need and the level of your surfing. I've been fortunate to have connected with 3 shapers in the 40 years since I started to kneeboard. Steve Artis in the late 70's, Mark Fitzpatrick (WA) late 80's/90's and most recently Rob Slater.

Speak to your shaper (or find a new one) and let them know what you posted on this site, show them your current board and work with them on what you are after for a 'small wave board'. It will save a lot of guess work and mucking around. Trust your shaper.

Good Kneeboarding, Bumps
'Your site has been suspended for suspicious activity or complaints'.
KenM
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KenM »

If you're using K fins why not go K style and have 5 sets of plugs put in so you can go tri, quad, or cinco.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by jdc »

look up posts by headwax (some quite recent) or pm him. He has worked with dave parkes on refining small/summer wave boads.

or here is a start!

viewtopic.php?t=5851&highlight=headwax
i like surfing
Angie

Post by Angie »

Hiya

thanks for the advice, i sat down with my shaper, showed him some footage of me riding small waves an explained how i felt the board was going on each wave, also my stance may be a little far forward, and we basically came up with what i was thinking, 6'0-24.5"-2 7/8" quad, will only get to try it out on the 28th dec as im stuck in the desert again.