replacing fins

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

ClanB
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

replacing fins

Post by ClanB »

Maybe a dumb question but......If One has an old board,standard fin placement, is it possible to remove them and add fin boxes ina modern fins forward and get good results?
K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by K-man »

Results?probably rideable,barely...Look at the fin placement.Notice that the hard rail edges ''generally ''will begin to soften about a chaka past the fins leading edge,then begin to soften towards the nose.
If you push the fins forward,that hard edge may be too soft in the new placement,Not allowing the board to hold an edge in the wave.It would be possible to build a resin edge to harden up that soft edge...Give it a shot.Be easier to buy a used board.

cheers
ClanB

Post by ClanB »

Yea easier to just get a new board....I have a friend who may let me use his tradition fins back board and I think its like 5'9" or 10". My board now is only 5'5"....maybe a bit small for me at my age(substitute age for wieght).