7'0" kneeboard

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

red
Legend (Contribution King!)

7'0" kneeboard

Post by red »

Test pilots needed. I don't have the cahones.

I had this blank machine cut 5 years ago. Cut it when I thought I could cut it in bigger waves. Not so sure now.
Got around to having it finished by my friend Stump. Tested some new lam techniques. Stringerless 7'0" bamboo top and bottom, 2x6oz top and bottom, diagonal cloth layup, epoxy bagged. 7lb

It's 23.5" wide, 2.5" thick. There are no straight edges in rail or rocker. 16.5" nose and tail.

It's a blade. The rails are 1" thick at 1" in. This is a design feature from my 6'0" boards. It makes the boards harder to learn to ride, especially when the lip is smashing on the inside rail, but more solid once you have rail finesse

The tail is as thin as I could make it and still have foam. This facilitates stall turns, late drops and general control.

Rode the board in some small waves and could actually turn it and have fun. Made my short boards feel finless when I swapped back.
Rode this joint on the Shipwreck Coast on Sunday. These were the first waves of consequence I've surfed in some time, so I was verrry careful (nothing to do with the size and power, shallow reef, waves crashing over the ledge, etc!). I had four waves in the hour I had available, which was about the same as the local out there. The waves were in the 8-10' range (those cliffs are 10m (35ft) high, to help with scale). Board was fast, got into waves early enough to fade back in take off, and generally gave me confidence in the design principles (i'e' no weird hangups, difficult paddling into waves, rail catches or stalls). A better (or more foolhardy) surfer would have taken it on with a 5'10" or something (props to Bob), like I used to in the 70's, but I think there's something to be learned for short kneeboards by riding long ones in appropriate conditions.
In the foreground (to the right of the white rock) is the staircase I climbed to get out after paddling into the bay

A 7'0" is not everyone's cup of tea, but they are thin on the ground, so I thought I'd share this one.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Ship it to Hawaii, Big Fred said it's going to be 60ft faces at Sunset while we are there. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
mmanners
Local (More than 25 post)

beauty

Post by mmanners »

That board looks like it's flying just standing there. Piece of fluid, fast, funtastic art indeed. The wave looks to be challenging as well. Congrats.

Enjoy the glide,
M2
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Hey Red, i like it, but maybe a bit thin for me paddling into the waves you made it for. Wouldn't stop me from having a crack though :D The last 2 i made were 6'7" x 23" and maui's was 3" thick cause he's 95-100kg and he surfed his in Hawaii a couple of weeks back in 3m surf and absolutely loved it.
Mine is 2 3/4" thick as i'm only 72kg. Iv'e surfed mine in 2.5 -3 m & it did everything effortlessly with speed to burn. I think the bigger the waves the bigger the board. It's just a question of fin placement to still give you the ability to put the board where you want. The length of the board does the rest, well most of it anyway. I love big boards in big shite, it just gives you so much more confidence due to the stability and speed.
Keep it up mate AB
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
barry

board

Post by barry »

Fantastic looking board Red!
Looks like a performer :D
you are looking rather suave yourself mate :wink:
I already have a 6'6" that I love and a 7' that I am still getting a feel for!
I have ridden my 7' only 6 times so still trying to really get a feel for all that foam and length :shock:
no complaints it's just that I have not able to ride it often enough yet to really get a proper feel for it like I have my 6'6"
dont put her out to pasture yet Red
keep after it your shapes are looking sweet
JohnS
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by JohnS »

Hey Barry,
Looks like the Central Coast is in for another round of Big Wednesday tomorrow. Break out that 7 footer :!: 8)
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Looks unreal, Red.
I got a 6'9" x 17.5" x 24" x 14.5" x 3" this winter. Love it.

As you can see, it has no straight edges either. I think it's super important for a longer kneeboard, otherwise it's impossible to turn.

I've only got a couple sessions on it. Huge Ranch and Big OB SF. It was crazy fun... And the paddle power it much appreciated.

Keep expanding horizons, Red.

[albumimg]28205[/albumimg]
jdkneelo

Post by jdkneelo »

Jeess red you look old
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Heh, I thought he looked tall :)
Thanks for that little picture story Red.
There's a guy round here, nutter for big waves who had wayne Hutch make him a seven something a few years ago.
Not sure where he's ridden it, but he could be worth catching up with at the Ksa comps. Names Shannon, one of the novos, surfs as good as me :)

PS you don't look old, just happy and content.
Tinso

Post by Tinso »

Yeah that's Shannon Berwick from the Novo's.
He's got a fair size quiver nowdays, all Kneeons by Hutchy, and really similar to the ones I had made recently. I think the biggest one he has is 7'2" or something, and he's talking about a 7'6". I think Baden Smith has a 7'6" - he was showing me pics of him riding it at his local at around 12ft+.
I remember seeing Kneeon ads in magazines with Simon sitting in front of his quiver years ago (late eighties - early nineties). There where some serious sized boards there!
All makes my 6'2" look like a bit wimpy really...
...but I like to be different...