Bottom contours

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Bryn
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Bottom contours

Post by Bryn »

I've been running the same basic contours on my boards for a couple of years now, rolled vee > single > double > vee. I love the set up but want to try something different. Keen to hear whats working for people and in what sort of conditions on a tri/thruster set up. Any suggestions??

Cheers
Bryn
red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

roll with lifted rails in nose to
flat
to slight spiral vee between fins to
flat

Snapped the board I had with this bottom. Having too much fun on slightly bumpy 4' point break.

Been riding concaves since, but will cut me another flat bottomed board as soon as I can. They go good when concaves are struggling with chop.
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Thanks red makes sense as I guess the flat gives a cleaner release to the bumps instead of trying to channel confused water down the board? Do you notice any detriment to paddling speed or release when taking off without lift from a concave further forward?
Angie
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Angie »

Im using the good old single to double concave through the fins, ill ride anything from 2ft to 8ft with it. only thing that changes are the board dimensions, 6'0 through to 6'2.
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Hi Angie yep same basic set up but I put a bit of rolled vee in the nose before the single starts and the double has a bit of vee in it through the fins. Interested to hear from any parkes tri riders with the full single concave with the double set within it at the fins and also any drift riders out there...

Successfully used reverse vee in a 6'2" pin tail for good waves but not really applicable to smaller stuff.

I guess at the end of the day if it ain't broke don't fix it! Will probably have a look at a bit of flat at some point as we do get a lot of bumpy crap to deal with over here!
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Until recently my boards where either a vee or a double concave in a vee, quad fin with a swallow tail.
I ordered a second board from Dean Cleary with "make it the same as my last board". Instead of a vee I got a single concave going into a double concave the exits out through the tail (swallow tail).
This board accelerates like no other board I have ever ridden.
Since then I along with Nee Pro have messed with this combination.
Sure the vees handle the chop better but lack the explosive acceleration that this combination has.
Micheal (Nee Pro shaper) has tried this combination in a couple of his boards and has had a similar result.
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
jdkneelo

Post by jdkneelo »

Go the 6 channel rounded square
micko

Post by micko »

Deep single into double with slight vee out the tail. Gives just a little more release than doubles out the tail. Mind you my concaves are 1/4-3/8" deep so with shallower concs you may not have to worry about the vee.
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

That's my findings for sure micko, losing the vee altogether makes top turns a bit catchy and I know some others over here found the same. Comes around a lot sweeter with a bit of lift at the rail. 3/8" sounds like a lot of concave how far towards the nose does your single run?

Jdkneelo, if we regularly got waves here to suit I would try a 6 channel for sure but just can't justify it!
red

Post by red »

I'll let you into a secret.

Keep a horizontal panel about 4" wide down the stringer. Faster. No side effects.

Panel fits inside concave and turns vee into a "mesa". Gives a flat final 2" in the tail which is what you want for drive (no vee out the tail, ever!)
If you're worried about catching with a flat tail, then pull up the tail rocker 3/8" in the final 4". This will give you release.

In response to your earlier inquiry, I don't notice any difference paddling the flat bottoms. Bottom contours don't come into play much until you're planing (but rocker and width do!)
skansand

Post by skansand »

Makin me want too shape again Red..
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Thanks red that's a fantastic pearl of knowledge to add to the collection! I can see how that would work, need to look at how my rockers will fit as they've been running quite a bit flatter for the last year. Lots to think about can't wait to get the next one out now!
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

Red that sound excellent , battling with my software so not sure if i can apply for my next board.
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Hi red, just thinking out loud really but when looking at kicking up the tail rocker in the last 4" of the tail would there be any negative effect to using an angular lift rather than a curve? Thinking this would maintain better pressure/drive through the tail without the 'damping' effect of a curve if that makes sense so should keep drive while still allowing release? Played with this idea before but always hesitant to put it in to practice but in theory seems it should work!

Loving a bit of design talk!
KEL

Post by KEL »

how do these ideas relate to shapers like flashpoints and parkes, especially in conditions like we surf here in so cal. i would like to start shopping for a new board and would like to hear from some of you on the things that you like and dislike.