JS INDUSTRIES -PIER PONY

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Headwax.
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Headwax. »

wonderful pics Bud!
I love how your small waves are my big waves ;)
Bud

Post by Bud »

Andrew,

The design can be adjusted.......made more sensitive to excel in very small surf.
I'm sure the Pier Pony is.

Of course being 20-30 years younger, employing the proper riding technique and one's personal agility and skill level play a part. :wink:
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Heya Bud :) Nice that you are back!

ahh you left out weight as well
now I weigh like a 'real man' I just don't float so good any more

but seriously yes, agility and drive on the rider's part is the key
Bud

Post by Bud »

Andrew,
Feel better about this one?
Small enough wave ridden?
[albumimg]24721[/albumimg]
Dave Sears was riding essentially the same type of design.
8)
I still think the Pier Pony will be fun to try.
Eagerly awaiting feedback from SG if he goes for it. :)
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Heh, yes classic pic, :) small enough for me too 8)

Particularly like how he is riding so far down the tail - can identify with that.

Yes it will be interesting to see the f eedback.

(Ps that's quite a good beach break for round here - he actually has a face to ride :idea: )
micko
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by micko »

Hey Sandgroper I'm in Perth and get locally built compsand kneelos for under $800. I've gone from riding 6'2"+ boards down to 5'4" to 5'10". Most of what I surf is under 3ft. PM me if you want a look at my boards or want the shapers details. Might even have one I'd be prepared to part with as one of the 5'10"s feels a bit big for me and I'm getting it copied as a 5'7" this week.
Sandgroper

Post by Sandgroper »

Taking everything into consideration I was a bit concerned about the width of the Pier Pony. A 5'10" Sweet Potato came into the shop 22.5" wide.

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/quive ... eet_potato

So I bought it. It is wider similar shape, 22.5" wide, more volume, lighter, epoxy and cheaper by $100 and now I'm just going to replug for some front fins put Parkes deck on it and go blast some mush.
Everyone wants these boards. If its a disaster it will be an easy sell or I might just have to ditch the flippers and stand up again. it may even work as a single fin so I may even experiment with this later.

Bud wrote:WOW! :shock: :D

That "Pier Pony" thing looks a lot like a board I built and used at D-Bar 1982?, surfing with Joe Engle.

There was this mushy peak off the top of the jetty that died off then reformed inside.
Nobody was trying to surf from out there.

I was able to drive and carve around on the mushy bit then easily breach the flats to connect with the inside peaks as the wave doubled up for the inside reforms with this board.
I used it all over the Goldie as my small wave shooter.

Fin placements look about the same. (mine was only a 4 fin)
Same dimensions to.

Mine went unreal!
Here is a couple of photos of a similar board in action.
[albumimg]12220[/albumimg]
For places like California and Australia, I just flattened them out a little.
[albumimg]12219[/albumimg]

I left that board behind along with a double wing 4 fin fish at Gordon and Rena Merchant's old place on Mermaid Hill.
Didn't get back there for ages.
Gordo told me he'd cleared out his garage.
Never saw the boards again.

Always wondered what had happened to it / them......
Now I know!
:wink: :lol:
SandGroper
Sandgroper

Post by Sandgroper »

http://vimeo.com/user9242677/pierpony

Sandgroper wrote:Taking everything into consideration I was a bit concerned about the width of the Pier Pony. A 5'10" Sweet Potato came into the shop 22.5" wide.

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/quive ... eet_potato

So I bought it. It is wider similar shape, 22.5" wide, more volume, lighter, epoxy and cheaper by $100 and now I'm just going to replug for some front fins put Parkes deck on it and go blast some mush.
Everyone wants these boards. If its a disaster it will be an easy sell or I might just have to ditch the flippers and stand up again. it may even work as a single fin so I may even experiment with this later.

That "Pier Pony" thing looks a lot like a board I built and used at D-Bar 1982?, surfing with Joe Engle.

There was this mushy peak off the top of the jetty that died off then reformed inside.

I was able to drive and carve around on the mushy bit then easily breach the flats to connect with the inside peaks as the wave doubled up for the inside reforms with this board.

Same dimensions to.

Mine went unreal!

I left that board behind along with a double wing 4 fin fish at Gordon and Rena Merchant's old place on Mermaid Hill.

Now I know!
SandGroper
Sandgroper

Post by Sandgroper »

The more I research the different boards that appear to work the more I realize that you just got to give it a go and try. Its not rocket science and is more of an art with bit trial and error in there. It also depends on riding style if you can adapt or change for different boards.
I do notice a huge difference between say a Romanoski board which has essentially standup surfboard TRI/ Quad fin placement positions to that seen on a Parkes boards that are way forward. Riding style is different between two one having to lean back more in turn(Romanoski) and Parkes lean more forward.

I check this board out in Mentawi's

http://www.romanoskykneeboards.com/2012/

5'6" x22'x2' (80Kg guy) similar dimetions to Sweet Potato or Pier Pony.
I cant see why one of these boards wouldn't work with some new fin plug placement. May even work well as a single fin?

http://www.romanoskykneeboards.com/2012/

Same dimensions to.

Mine went unreal!

Now I know!
SandGroper
griz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by griz »

And we are not rocket scientists Sandgroper . Trial , error and you forgot buckets of cash ! I would rather order from someone who has already been through the grief !
bean57
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by bean57 »

i stand up as much or more than i kneeboard, on a wide variety of boards,
had a twinzer 21 inch wide fish not long ago for 2 ft waves and found the odd big bomby 4ft tubey set wave every now and then and natural got to my knees and pulled in,,,,similar sort of shape to what you were looking at....
just found i couldnt turn it..but had lots of drive, interesting standing and kneeboarding on the same board, the flow was the same,,,,turning wasnt..
these boards have pretty straight outlines and with little tailkick or rocker
they are'nt suited to small wave kneeboarding..unless its a down the line
2 ft pointbreak where you'll never do a cutback
Sandgroper

Post by Sandgroper »

Hey Griz
My first Kneeon kneeboard got me started in all this, and I got you from you!

I'm just trying something different, that's how the sport progresses. I don't care if it costs me.

griz wrote:And we are not rocket scientists Sandgroper . Trial , error and you forgot buckets of cash ! I would rather order from someone who has already been through the grief !
SandGroper
Sandgroper

Post by Sandgroper »

Headwax

Ive just surfed this thing the converted 5'8" Sweet Potato in half decent Perth surf 5' clean.
It has the following attributes with 4 Large Fins. (Fin reposition forward of stock).

Very Easy to paddle
Very easy to catch wave
It is Super fast
Gets on rail very easy
Very Skatey like skateboard with no rubbers.
Got to ride on tail more to stop nose dive on drop.
and Loves to catch a rail so got to ride tail more.
22 1/4 " width is not as stable as 23" width and requires different style and not so much weight shift to turn.

Verdict is still out, surf a bit big for this today, maybe good for small stuff but I'm thinking now the 6' X 23" would have been the better choice.

Headwax. wrote:Hey nice looking boards

I'd recommend Parkesy as well.

I see these pier ponies are max 22 1/2

If you get one you will be doing yourseslf a disservice because a kneelboard can easil go wider - and get more area for the same length.

because

A stand up board made as wide as a kneeboard will spin out unless you stand right on the rail.

importantly

A flat rockered board needs more planshape curve. A wide short board will give you more planshape curve than a longer narower board. (Or just compared to a narrower board. )

in addition

A stand up rider can concentrate his weight on a small area on his back foot to use that tail lift to keep the front rail out of the water - much more than a kneelo can ever hope to do

which leads to

The other thing is that even though the pier pony it is flat rockered, there is still some curve, and a kneelo shaper will know where to put that curve for a kneeboarder . Think about where a standup rider uses his pressure points on the baord - compared to where yours are - and it will make more sense.

finally :)

the board they have pictured? I reckon for a kneelo it won't start really howling till it gets to 4 foot plus - and then you'll be catching the rail etc unless you ride right off the tail

(who knows, maybe it will rip? let us know :) )
SandGroper
Bud

Post by Bud »

Try reducing the fin size.

Start with the rear fins.

Maybe even all.

It'd be easier to turn and less prone to nose under or dig rails.

The fins on the boards I posted pics of, were pretty small.

4 1/8" base X 4" deep on front (asymmetric foil), with 3 3/4" base X 3 3/4" rear fins (symmetric foil).

Works for me

:lol:

Have fun!
stevea

J S Industries -Pier Pony

Post by stevea »

Surfed today with a shortboard friend who has a Sweet Potato checked it out closely and dont for the life of me know why you thought it could work better than a custom made kneeboard from any one of a dozen dedicated kneeboard shaper- designers
rails and rocker looked fine, width well 40 years ago i found out less than 23 doesnt work in the waves you expect it to ,sorry i dont believe in absolutes but width and vee through to the tail come close
I am with Bud on the fin issue and when i was still fit and able surfed a quad with rear fins about a qtr the area of the front regularly in waves of consequence on a 5 6 2005,prior to that when i was really fit and able a 5 2 quad 1981?
The 5 2 was ugly and did not function as a twin fin but come to life as a quad in fact lit the the fire to next 30 years quad experience
I will try and upload a couple of photos that may help illustrate my point but since you,ve already spent the money i hope you can adapt to your new toy and prove me wrong and maybe post some video or photos good luck