JS INDUSTRIES -PIER PONY

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

budgie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

legends

Post by budgie »

bean57 rips either on feet or knees.

well done bean.

TOO MANY KNEEBOARD LEGEND SHAPERS. wow how privileged are we?

do the footboarders get al merrick, dareen handley etc etc commenting and giving advise.

NO WAY

bruce hart, steve artis, bud mccray thanks and well done
Headwax.
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Headwax. »

Sandgroper wrote:Headwax

Ive just surfed this thing the converted 5'8" Sweet Potato in half decent Perth surf 5' clean.
It has the following attributes with 4 Large Fins. (Fin reposition forward of stock).

Very Easy to paddle
Very easy to catch wave
It is Super fast
Gets on rail very easy
Very Skatey like skateboard with no rubbers.
Got to ride on tail more to stop nose dive on drop.
and Loves to catch a rail so got to ride tail more.
22 1/4 " width is not as stable as 23" width and requires different style and not so much weight shift to turn.

Verdict is still out, surf a bit big for this today, maybe good for small stuff but I'm thinking now the 6' X 23" would have been the better choice.

Headwax. wrote:Hey nice looking boards

I'd recommend Parkesy as well.

I see these pier ponies are max 22 1/2

If you get one you will be doing yourseslf a disservice because a kneelboard can easil go wider - and get more area for the same length.

because

A stand up board made as wide as a kneeboard will spin out unless you stand right on the rail.

importantly

A flat rockered board needs more planshape curve. A wide short board will give you more planshape curve than a longer narower board. (Or just compared to a narrower board. )

in addition

A stand up rider can concentrate his weight on a small area on his back foot to use that tail lift to keep the front rail out of the water - much more than a kneelo can ever hope to do

which leads to

The other thing is that even though the pier pony it is flat rockered, there is still some curve, and a kneelo shaper will know where to put that curve for a kneeboarder . Think about where a standup rider uses his pressure points on the baord - compared to where yours are - and it will make more sense.

finally :)

the board they have pictured? I reckon for a kneelo it won't start really howling till it gets to 4 foot plus - and then you'll be catching the rail etc unless you ride right off the tail

(who knows, maybe it will rip? let us know :) )
thanks for the update Sandgroper
sorry I have been laid up with a shoulder injury so haven't been around and missed your post.

It sounds like a good down the line reef break board!

PS: Stevea knows his stuff. He's kinda like the Kneeopeadia :)