Flex tails and performance

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

jdavie
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Flex tails and performance

Post by jdavie »

I have tried out a few different boards, pin tails, swallow tails, old slabs and even a bat tail board with quad, thruster and single fin set ups , but i have never tried a flex tail is it somthing worth investing in to add to my quiver .

what are the advantages of a flex tail ?
skansand
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by skansand »

Variable rocker ,, one of greenoughs spoons had 1/2" negative tail rocker that would bend to 3" in a turn then spring back projecting him forward.. " Flex is the Future"
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

sorry, I know you asked for 'advantages'

twouble with flex can be that it gives you a grunt of power just as you are realeasing the pressure - ie going from one turn to the next

have a look at some of greenough;s movies where he is coming off the top on his spoon and you can see it happening

not that I know much, I just watch :)

mind you flex in your front fin on a quad ios a definite boost ...
stevea
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

flex tails and performance

Post by stevea »

I 'm with mr Wax on this much easier and cost efficient to make up a set of fibreglass fins and tune the flex
I tried a reverse rocker flex tail once upon a time went fast as and really felt a positive response but it had a tendency to want to bite me ,but its amazing what can work if you've got the belief, time and money
micko
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Fins

Post by micko »

Probox should be your first port of call, between them and http://www.hanaleifinsystems.com.au/pag ... tfolio.php they have a massive range of fins to play around with to get a bit of flex.
I've just put them in this http://indianakneeriders.blogspot.com.a ... newby.html for just that reason and have more boxes on the way to convert another board.
There's a profile shot here http://indianakneeriders.blogspot.com.a ... -fins.html
crox

Post by crox »

This is my experience - viewtopic.php?t=3850

Flex fins are a completely different issue!

I'm surfing a 4 fin split flextail & love it.....flowwwwww :D
"All we are saying, is give knees a chance"
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Jdavie, the reason for building in a reverse flex has to do with the amount of flex you end up with. The thinner the glass the more flex, therefore reverse foil to compensate. With my flex tails I don't make them too thin so they only flex when under extreme load, so they behave like a normal board at other times. Another advantage of that thin tail is it behaves like a horizontal fin stabilizing the tail on the foam ball. End result is an extremely fast responsive stable board in howling barrels. You can feel the difference. Also you can still surf the board in fuller waves. I'm os at the moment but if you want to talk more pm me after wednesday. Al
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!