The Parkes Four Fin Fish

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Tony B
Local (More than 25 post)

The Parkes Four Fin Fish

Post by Tony B »

Well I know Don likes them but what do the rest of you think? I ride three fins as a norm though, I rode Parkes's early quads in the late 80s. They were rounded pin designs in thoughs days. My memory fades - but I remember having fun on them at the time.

I now supply the UK with Parkes's boards. This means I have a collective to choose from. A quad stood out in a recent delivery of boards. The foil is much better that any of the tri fins he shaped in the batch. So I am once again tempted by the extra fin.

However, the few souls (including Tom Linn on your side of the pond) suggest that they are hard work and that they are trouble on peaky waves. Chris Crockett ( on this side of the great divide) says that the back fin on the tri acts as a rudder - helping to give the board direction. I can see his point but the idea of having to use the rails more has an appeal. The bottom line is fun I suppose but I dont want to go backwards. :D :D :D :D :D

What do you guys think??

Tony B

Attached: quads of old.
Attachments
quads.jpg
Parkes quads late 80s
(22.99 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
Last edited by Tony B on Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Admin

Test drive...

Post by Don »

Beeline,

If you are heading down to the May 3rd Gathering I'm sure there will be a few boards around for you to try. I'll bring a few Parkes down and you can see how the quads ride. I know Ed Quinn and Eric Osland both ride tri-fins and can give you some perspective on these as well.

What a great delimma... Blast or Parkes... Both are great water crafts, progressive modern day designs and there's enough of a difference between the two to offer something for everyone.

I'll be down in SD May 1-4 and will probably stop in Ventura... let me know if you are around.

Anyone up for an improptu Ventura surf May 1?
Don Harris
Tony B

Post by Tony B »

Hi Beeline

Probably won't make the gathering on the third as it is a long way from Cornwall. But I did make the Hawaii gathering. I saw a lot of Blast boards while I was there. Bud puts a lot of care into each of them and they work well. A couple of the guys riding other boards (Mark McLoad AUS, Ivan and Karl Ward) gave them try and liked them in Hawaiian conditions. However, they and I have our doughts about them working in our waters. They are made to go down the line at speed. Most kneelos here surf top to bottom. The Hawaiian guys were more intent on making the wave.

There are a lot of nice boards out there these days. Flash Point look really nice. Also Chris Diplock's boards here in the UK. Chris will only make tri fins. He is no fan of the quad but I would argue that he is one of the worlds top shapers and that you are going to here a lot of this guy in as the sport grows.

Below I have placed Diplocks history. This normally appears on my site ( http://www.kneeboardsurfing.co.uk ) but I am presently rebuilding the sales page. There will be some pics of Chris Diplocks boards on there in the next couple of days so pay us a visit.

Chris Diplocks History
I started surfing in 1979 at the age of 13 on a board shaped by my father in the garage. Four years later I purchased a fibreglass bodyboard that I rode for 8 months until I saw the light and bought a kneeboard! After that it was full on – totally obsessed with kneeboarding, kneeboards, flippers – you name it -  anything to do with it! I was heavily influenced by local kneelos Chris Cockett and Gwatti. Both were very competitively minded – I learned a lot very quickly.

In 1984/85 David Parkes of Friar Tuck fame, came to stay with Chris Cockett on part of his European trip. He shaped a few boards – of course we all had to have one! A 5’ 6” twin fin for me. It just went off! I was completely stoked with my new kneeboard – a Friar Tuck at that! I went surfing more than ever!

1987 saw me travelling for the first time, the destination was Byron Bay Australia – the home of kneeboarding. Here I met up with David Parkes at Friar Tuck Kneeboards – the only factory world- wide ever with its entire production devoted to kneeboards. I was in seventh heaven! It was here I also met Albert Whiteman, one of the shapers at Friar Tuck and started a friendship that was tragically cut short just a few years later, but not before spending a lot of good times together. Every kneelo over thirty should have heard of Albert Whiteman. He started his shaping career at Hot Buttered  in Northern Sydney under the watchful eye of Terry Fitzgerald but hailed from the southside beach of Maroubra from where a huge pool of talent emerged in the late seventies – David Parkes, Dean Bulivant, Peter M’Clure  to name a few – but not forgetting Albert.

:p> In the early eighties performance levels of kneeriders were going through the roof. Led by the likes of Michael Novakov and Simon Farrer who were the bench mark of performance at North Narrabeen – kneelos and stand-ups alike, surfing boards shaped by the master – Albert Whiteman of Knormal Kneeboards.

In the mid eighties Bert got at job at Friar Tuck and moved north to Byron Bay. Here he worked with David Parkes to form a formidable team unsurpassed at that time or since. On my next trip to Oz in 1990 I met up with Bert again, this time he had bought Friar Tuck from David and moved down to Ulladulla on the south coast – home of some of the finest waves in Australia. It was here I had a job sanding and foiling fins etc but he was also showing me the ropes to shaping and designing kneeboards – and that’s where it all started – taught by Albert at the height of his skill and mastery. On the way home I stopped off in Hawaii for six weeks. I stayed with Bud M’Cray of Blast Kneeboards along with Bert and Simon Farrer. I learned a lot there – being dragged out at Sunset when it was 10 feet +  was scary! A very steep learning curve!

When I returned to Cornwall I started Diplock Kneeboards but also worked for Graeme Bunt at Local Hero surfboards. I stayed here until 1998 – shadow shaping in the latter stages. In the spring of 1998 I received a job offer from Ocean Magic to shape full time, so I moved my work to Newquay, shaping daily improved my skill and confidence. My designs draw from twenty years of kneeboarding experience and fifteen years of professional surfboard production and are tried and tested around the world in a variety of conditions.

See you in the barrel!

Chris “Bro” Diplock
Bryn
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Diplock boards

Post by Bryn »

Tony, hopefully i will be able to make the gathering at Seaside over here so will have my trusty Diplock 5"10" round pin tri for all to see! It has served me more than well and i will definitely be getting another one when it finally gives up and i get back to the UK!
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony B

Group pic

Post by Tony B »

Hi Beeline.
I guess you mean the Hawaii group pic?
If you do there was an interesting split in board design. Only the guys from the USA had quads - no one else. Even a couple of the Hawaiians used tris. The guys doing the best moves - noteably Karl Ward and Mark Mcload used tri fins though, the designs were very different. Mark used the Aussie rounded pin 5'9'' by 23 while Karl and Mark Crawford used designs developed by Gigs of SA. These boards are less rounded in plan shape that the Aussie boards - dare I say more surfboard like. They have lots of tail and nose lift and deep concaves and are generally longer.

Its a very confusing picture.
barkingwave
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

The Parkes Four Fin Fish

Post by barkingwave »

where can I get purchasing information for one of these boards?
stemple

Post by stemple »

Check the links on the home page. For Parkes boards in the US, Don Harris is the rep, located in the bay area. His email is in the list for this site. He is the developer/web master of the site and to whom we all owe a big thank you. English boards better contact Tony, Bud's boards, Blast, see his website. He ships directly from hawaii