Tanker Surfing Kneeboard

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

quadfin
Legend (Contribution King!)

Tanker Surfing Kneeboard

Post by quadfin »

I have moved to the Texas Upper Coast and where some of my buddies are hard core into Tanker Surfing in Galveston Bay. Fulbright and Co were in Step into Liquid and James operates a charter service to surf tanker waves.

These guys are paddling in on longboards and must push over the many flat spots on the wave. Any thoughts on a kneeboard for such a wave?
Surf Hard Live Slow
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Lots of videos on YouTube about that, use a bigger flat board. Looks like fun, I would do it. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Sandgroper
Local (More than 25 post)

Re: Tanker Surfing Kneeboard

Post by Sandgroper »

quadfin wrote:I have moved to the Texas Upper Coast and where some of my buddies are hard core into Tanker Surfing in Galveston Bay. Fulbright and Co were in Step into Liquid and James operates a charter service to surf tanker waves.

These guys are paddling in on longboards and must push over the many flat spots on the wave. Any thoughts on a kneeboard for such a wave?
Try 6'1", 6'2" or 6'3", 6'4" FIREWIRE Baked Potato or Sweet Potato Converted to Kneeboard(new fins fwd)

Catches wave like a Mal but Looser.
Perfect for Tanker waves.
http://youtu.be/lu-xor7CtjA

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/quive ... ked_potato
SandGroper
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

I have a 5'10" Flashpoint that I can usually catch waves with LB's but cant connect through the flat spots. A lot has to do with the water entry and water release on a pretty thin kneeboard by Mr. Hart. I like your concept on the Baked Potato, Sandgroper and going to scope one in a shop. I came from spoon days and have to feel the wave under me and like some flex in my turns. Might be a good tanker board for me though.

Mike, I don't have any pictures of Paris but do have one with my tanker surfer buddies with Jimmy Buffet at his last concert here. Jimmy sought them out and he may have gone tanker surfing with them.
Surf Hard Live Slow
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Surf Hard Live Slow
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Coming from the mushy east coast, I'd recommend over 6' and PE/PU composition. Weight confers momentum. (if two objects are moving with the same velocity, one with twice the mass of the other also has twice the momentum) My lightweight EPS/Epoxy boards definitely lose momentum in mushy surf...

Definitely looks fun, the only problem might be cramping up from kneeling for such a long time!
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
Scott

Post by Scott »

Quadfin, I suggest you get a hold of a Blast Stubb Vector; I have one and can comfortably surf as small as 1-2', and with the very wide tail it gets over flat spots about as well as anything short of a long board can do. It's really made small waves a new delight for me, and could ride a tanker wave if anything can. if you got it custom made, I imagine it could be a few inches longer, and maybe even thicker.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

KneeBumps wrote:Coming from the mushy east coast, I'd recommend over 6' and PE/PU composition. Weight confers momentum. (if two objects are moving with the same velocity, one with twice the mass of the other also has twice the momentum) My lightweight EPS/Epoxy boards definitely lose momentum in mushy surf...

Definitely looks fun, the only problem might be cramping up from kneeling for such a long time!
I believe I "outmush" you on the Texas coast! I continually turn back to the hook and use swing momentum to generate speed. The tanker waves are different as there is really no hook. Your theory may apply to these waves. I will add planing area as well which means a longer board.
Surf Hard Live Slow
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Scott wrote:Quadfin, I suggest you get a hold of a Blast Stubb Vector; I have one and can comfortably surf as small as 1-2', and with the very wide tail it gets over flat spots about as well as anything short of a long board can do. It's really made small waves a new delight for me, and could ride a tanker wave if anything can. if you got it custom made, I imagine it could be a few inches longer, and maybe even thicker.
Hi Scott. I have a Blast Quad that will be my first experiment. It is only 5'10" and thinking with you that it will need to be longer.
Surf Hard Live Slow
Sandgroper

Post by Sandgroper »

quadfin wrote:Image
\

When is Jimmy coming to Australia for a surf???
SandGroper