70's fishes

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

singlefinglide
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

70's fishes

Post by singlefinglide »

I intrested to know what the average width of a KB fish was in the 70's.
The reason I ask is that i have been rideing a Board that was copied off a 70's fish.
It was attended to be standup but goes really well as a KB and suits the way I surf, it is 21' wide fins back
I have only ever ridden 23' wide fins forward boards in the past but this board is changing my thinking on width it is so fast out of a turns and the projection down the line ia a real buzz.
I know fishes do perform like that but has the width got a factor in its performace.
On saying that I haven't tried it in all conditions yet only small days.
steve burpo
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by steve burpo »

The fishes i rode in the late 70's were 21 to 22 inches wide fins back.5'-6" to 5'-8" in length and real thick.I still ride them that way.
maxb
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by maxb »

i just switched back to fish , had Romo make me a 5'9" by 23 but it is a quad, I know it isn't quite old school, but it feels like it as far as speed and riding high in the pocket. But it is way looser than my old fish
Max
kbing newport
KenM

Post by KenM »

Glide, I've got a Steve Lis fish from the mid 70's that's 21 inches wide and one from 2003 that's 23+1/4 wide. They are actually very similar boards, the things you like about the fish, projection/drive will still be there at 23 inches wide.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by singlefinglide »

Thanks everyone for the replies.
slucepan

Post by slucepan »

I was thinking of shaping a fish for my self and keeping the design closer to the Lis fish but push the keels up the board a little further and keep the traditional plywood keels. Ma be pull in the tail just a bit.
I am thinking of calling my own garage built board logo Black Fish Project in honer of Steven Lis. I will post and share my templates with the community as soon as I can post them on my blog. These will be pdf spin templates and the .brd files so they can be modified as desired.
Keep the stoke and may all of the waves in your life line up like corduroy.
Surfboard a collection of agreeable trade off's moving in one direction.
Huntington State

Post by Huntington State »

Still have my twin fin made at Sunset Surfboards in Leucadia..shaped by Tim Bessell back in around '78"...fast! but way loose
KenM

Post by KenM »

Huntington State wrote:Still have my twin fin made at Sunset Surfboards in Leucadia..shaped by Tim Bessell back in around '78"...fast! but way loose
'78? 'bout time for a new one. www.besselsurf.com
Captain Kneemo fan club