Pavel fish kneeboard

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

airboy808
Local (More than 25 post)

Pavel fish kneeboard

Post by airboy808 »

Aloha All

I am joining your ranks. Got a pavel 4-11 quad fish with pendo deck on the way. It has Lokbox boxes. Wondering what fin recommendations can anyone provide.

I am 6-1/200lbs. Yeah I am big for the board but can arm paddle really well. Have a 4-6 bing speed square that I can get around on very well. Love short stubby stuff.

New to kneeboarding but enjoying knee action.
Thanks in advance for any fin advice.
crox
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by crox »

Nice to see someone going for something different....let us know how you get on with it. Where are the fins placed?
"All we are saying, is give knees a chance"
airboy808

Pavel

Post by airboy808 »

Here is a pic of the board and fins look like rear placement. But being so short at 4-11 not sure the impact of fins forward set up. Not sure if pavel shapes any fishes with fins forward.

https://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.vo ... 1373378421

Last edited by airboy808 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
crox

Post by crox »

Looks a long way back for kneeboard placement....& with the wide point forward could tend to be stiff...but then has short length on it's side...think I would go for something on the smaller side for fins.
"All we are saying, is give knees a chance"
airboy808

Pavel

Post by airboy808 »

What options are there to add fin options? I see some pics of kneeboards with two long board boxes in front of rear boxes. How do those set ups work?

Think nat Palmer set up looks interesting.
KenM

Post by KenM »

If you want the classic fish feel with a bit more maneuverability try the Pavel Speedialer fins. They're what that board was originally designed to use. I found that for me they were just a touch too stiff so I ground a half inch off the leading edge of the forward fins and a quarter inch off the depth of all four fins and modified the tabs of all four fins to bring the cluster closer together. For me that worked perfect. Experiment, bringing the cluster together will loosen it up, further apart will stiffen it up. Great looking board.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Fins

Post by airboy808 »

Will start with the speed dialers in glass since I have those. Will use that as a base.

Got a few 101 bamboo sets to try which may loosen her up due to their flex but not reef friendly
-stretch quad bamboo 101
-marlin bacon quad bamboo 101
-lb4/lb1 quad bamboo 101
-ichiro hp twin 101 which looks to be a good front with stretch rears

Also got a set of 757 quad coming in glass. Excited about this set.

Waiting on scoring a set of turbo speed dialers too. Maybe a speed dialer cutaway set. Got a bunch of fins to exhaust through first I guess before any modifications.
airboy808

Post by airboy808 »

So took the pavel out a few sessions and figuring out how to make her go while on my knees. Have only tried the 757 fins but like them best in all forward position both front and rears.

Find I need some chest high juice to make her work. She paddles great but could be cheating with new vector v7 fins. Thinking the v7 maybe to long and causing drag hanging off the back. Will pick up some v5 and see.

So far very fun. Thought call between romanosky spoon and the pavel 4-11.

Will keep this thread up to date on how she goes up north.
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Wow! At 6'1" and 200 lbs, a 4'11" seems awful small. I thought I was pushing it with my 5'6" Blast fishy @ 174 lbs.! Vive la difference?!
airboy808

Update

Post by airboy808 »

Have had the 4-11 out a few more times and tried some different fins. Below are some of my experiences

Swim fins:
-v7 fins all yellow vipers feel good on feet, give a lot of thrust to move my 6-1/200 lbs on a 4-11. Think they are dragging off the back when I am up on my knees. Stiff tips
-propels scored for $6 and better for bigger days like chest or head high juice. Weaker conditions can tell difference between v7 and duck feet. Comfortable and don't have any legs pains or cramps when I get out of the water. Would not buy at retail price but at $6 it is a good set of fins. Know for sure not dragging out the back due to being short fins.
-duck feet blue green ones. Favorite fins. Comfortable plenty of thruster and might hang off back but so flexy no issues.

Quad Fins
-757s in fiberglass work if you got walls and barrels. But while carving it feels,like someone pulled the handbrake. Like no drive. Guess airplane design dynamics don't equate to water dynamics.
-turbo speed dialers wored better than 757s. Able to carve and have drive. Hold is good too. Definitely step in right direction.
-webber cf flex fcs curved tall (like 7" but thin foil and thin to tip). Best fins so far on 4-11. Drive, turns, and holds better than the turbos. The speed is crazy and when hopping to get additional boost/speed it feels like Mario kart turbo boost. Every pump you can feel the squirt. I make up the long finger like flexy curve webbers are like octopus teniticles. So when pumping they flex outward then inward when you let off thus creating thrust. Could be just crazy imagination. But the webber sessions have been unreal. Contemplating getting a back up set.

Board holding up nicely. Got knee dents. Pendo pad is comfortable and does not tear up skin. Little peel up on two spots that need to e6000 glue down. Can feel the short length advantage when leg kicking. Scoot back and hips have full range of motion. Very happy with the pavel 4-11 overall. Will report back with further info as time progresses.
KenM

Post by KenM »

Airboy, are you using Lockbox adapters with the Webber FCS fins?
Captain Kneemo fan club

Grip it's

Post by airboy808 »

Yes lokbox grip it's

So far working great. Gives more fin options since mainly got fcs.
KenM

Post by KenM »

Cool, thanks.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by airboy808 »

Actually got board from Resin Craft. Resin Craft is a surf/skate shop that went around to shops and bought up unique boards so they could stock up. If you check their site you will see other unique pavels.

Before I bought it I called greenroom and spoke to Elizabeth. She shared that it the board was sitting there and she sold it. Heard ?Toby was not to happy that she sold it.

It is a beautiful board and so far am willing digging it.
airboy808

webber fins

Post by airboy808 »

here is link to a short video to see the webber curved flexy fins

http://instagram.com/p/bNPkHlhOGq/