Parkes Thruster 5'9"

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

airboy808
Local (More than 25 post)

Parkes Thruster 5'9"

Post by airboy808 »

Aloha

Scored a Parkes 5'9" thurster on the local Craigslist. Was a little worn but gave her a make over. See in the links below:

BEFORE
https://flic.kr/p/o8BMUE

AFTER
https://flic.kr/p/nRev6z

Took her out twice so far so the verdict on it is still early. Got some feedback from Steen on fin to run since it did not come with a center. Slapped in a 4" True Ames fin. Set it at 10" from the tail.

First session was high tide peak with some swell coming in. Got way nicer and cleaner near the end of the session has the tide was coming down. Got to say this board is a turn and burn machine compared to the pavel kneeboard and romanosky spoon. First wave banged out four turns back to back in a matter of seconds. Got a few more and then the walls started to show as the tide was going out. Got last right which was a wall and the board allows for some speed.

Second session was today and it was softer and rolly. Low tide peaked in middle of the seesion but seemed to make it worst. Had a nice big drop and this board stuck it when going down the face. Compared to the pavel I need to side entry the wave due to the rocker being so flat. Second session waves was not as good as the first session.

Couple thinks I noticed being on 5'9" is paddling position. So used to 5'2" and under my 6'1" frame allows for my legs to dangle off the back. With the increased foam of a 5'9" I think I can get by with dafins verus the duckfeets I normally use. Or maybe just rid my self of fins all together. Board has nice float compared to my other ones.

Got two more boards coming and I should be golden. Or not. Board buying and experimentation is a diease.

Will update as more session are had on this 5'9" parkes thrusterr. Overall first impressions is that I am liking fins forward.
WayneK
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by WayneK »

Commit at least a few months of dedicated time to her before making a judgement. You have been so accustom to such a short board with rear placed fins that it will take time to make adjustments :wink:
airboy808

Post by airboy808 »

Mahalo Wayne for the feedback. Yep planned on putting in the time. Kinda hung up the pavel for now.
maxb

Post by maxb »

I can attest to the dificulties of the change from fins back to fins forward. I have ridden Romanoskys' boards forever and have worked with him start to finish on most all of them. He and I have come up wuth some very functional fins forward designs that have been a collaboration of both of our ideas.
I am sold on the fins forward for most waves, but still use my shorter fins back at places like The Wedge and a few other slabby places.
If you are like me,you drive off the tops of your feet ,so adjust your position to put your feet over the fins and keep your weight a bit forward to get more drive.
It has taken a bit of learning but its worth it
MAX
kbing newport