Getting a board shaped in Perú

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

andyw
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Location: Sydney, AUS hailing from Mornington Peninsula, Australia.

Getting a board shaped in Perú

Post by andyw »

Hi all.

I'm heading to Perú to study on exchange from August to December. I really want to surf the waves there, but board fees on the flights I've got are a killer!

I've found a bloke in Lima with a APS3000 shaping machine, an experienced footboard shaper. My thought is to get him to make me a board with a design I've put together on Shape3DX. I don't have a lot of experience shaping, but I have fears of working with footboard shapers because the last one I had made by one was a massive lemon.

I've trawled the design forums and tweaked my own design, please check it out and let me know what just won't work, what will, and what you think.

What are the necessary things to tell the shaper to make sure it rides well? How much should I control the process and how much should I trust his experience?

Fin placement? I had a crack myself, but like I said, I'm inexperienced.

Check out the album with the link
https://imgur.com/gallery/LRnUS

Thanks in advance for your input, hope the waves are firing.
joe
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by joe »

I was in Peru last July. A lot of good waves up and down the coast. Some pretty heavy. I would want a board I know and trust. We flew in on LAN and I don't think we had any board fees. If the cost is too high with the airlines, you might check into cargo fees.
Bryn
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bryn »

Joe is on the money however looking at your design i would say pull both nose and tail out to nearer 17" at the 1' mark and also you will probably need nearer 4.5" rocker in the nose. I've been running tail as low as 1.25" but around 2" for waves with push will be fine. I've been designing my own boards for a few years now and it really is a great way to learn about how things work under your knees and very satisfying when you get a good one dialled in!
andyw
Location: Sydney, AUS hailing from Mornington Peninsula, Australia.

Post by andyw »

Thanks Joe, unfortunately, being a Uni student I'm kinda skint and the boards I currently ride aren't all that trustworthy and are fairly on their last legs. I shopped around for flights and luggage was a major factor, but I read the terms wrong and I'm flying with Iberia, who charge $150 each way for boards! I can probably get my hands on a good second hand stick from my buddy for around $250, but with the carriage fee added, it's looking like costing the price of a new one in Perú anyway.

Thanks so much for the feedback Bryn. I realise I'm biting off a fair bit, but it's a hell of a skill to learn, and there's a certain romance to being able to create your own ride, and s*&^, I've gotta learn somehow. I tweaked the board a little, nose rocker at 4 3/8", and tail 1 7/8. Added a bit of width on the nose and tail, 1' off tail is now 16 5/16" and I decided to go wider on the nose, 16 13/16".

I've still got decisions to make, I'll certainly keep you informed of the outcome.
C J Gagner

Post by C J Gagner »

Try a shipping company FED EX UPS Ect. ? Just a thought.
Though the course may change sometimes rivers always reach the sea!!!!
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Ret in touch with Raf Rafinha, i know he's in Brazil but he will help you out if he can.

https://www.facebook.com/rrhandshaper?fref=ts
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
WillP

Post by WillP »

Get in touch with Javier Huarcaya. He makes kneeboards and can send a file down to his associate and have a board waiting for you when you get there. His brand in JHP and all his boards are made from XTR (Extruded Polystyrene). Super light and 100% non-absorbant.