design differences

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

IanM

design differences

Post by IanM »

I don't want people to slander anybody but I was just wondering if there are any major design differences in the major shapers, eg parked vs flashpoint etc maybe from people that have owned boards from multiple shapers?
analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

I don't think your in danger of " slandering " anybody Ian. & yes there are major design differences between the shapers. Too many to go into detail in one msg. If you look in the forums under board design there is heaps of info.
More design perceptions & differences in kneeboards than probably any other form of surf craft.
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
flightpath
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by flightpath »

I can only comment on my boards as I am sure pretty much all the shapers can will and do delve into different directions based on the customer.
I have recently had some boards from two different shapers. Both based in the same city, i.e. similar evolutionary thread (slabs). Two boards had a similar brief regarding it's use.
Both boards look very different. Kinda like fibreglass and foam signatures. Volume, rocker and all over "curve" differed as well as deck/rail/bottom shape even though both are pretty much the same length and width at nose, tail and midpoint.
I would hazard to say one was more voluptuous! More overall curve (rocker/outline) and more overall volume.
The other seemed more "straight"?? for want of a better word. It had less rocker, outlines were similar but the rails differed quite considerably maybe in part due to very different deck and bottom lines.
Thing is they both go incredibly well.
Seems to me there are many ways to skin a cat so to speak. Communication is probably key.
I was able to get a great product from two different shapers.
Last edited by flightpath on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Getting a great board is all it's about. :D
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!