Old Lis fish

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

T Hall
Local (More than 25 post)

Old Lis fish

Post by T Hall »

Was in San Diego a while back and found an original Lis fish under some weeds at a friends house. Got the board for $50. Someone tried to fix the de-lam and removed two patches of foam from the deck and left it unrepaired. So I'm not quite sure what direction to take with the repair / restoration on this one. The fins are blue fiberglass and one is slightly tilted from the board leaning on it's side for years. Stringerless blank, it is suntanned on both sides, a couple of stress cracks on the bottom, but other than the botched deck repair the board is solid. Nice legible Lis logo. Cool board that deserves to be repaired but I'm looking for some advise on what direction to take with this board. I could just fix the dings and make it water tight, or go all the way and strip it, refurbish the blank and fins do the re- glass. Kind of don't want to mess this one up. Any advise from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, T Hall.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

nice find.
maybe take the middle path? have a quality ding repairer fix the deck and fin. then give the board a clean with cut and dry. bob's your uncle.
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
T Hall

Post by T Hall »

Thought about that but with the suntanned resin it would discolor where the repairs were. A fin re-set would do the same. Although repairing this board would get it water tight and show worthy for my friends it would permanently alter an original Lis fish, but then so would the total re-do. Just weighing the options, what to do? Could also color match to the old resin where the repairs were done and keep the repairs to a minimum. Just kickin around some ideas. See ya, T Hall.