Flex spoon

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

T Hall
Local (More than 25 post)

Flex spoon

Post by T Hall »

Would like to speak with someone that knows their stuff on flex spoons. Found one under a house in Carmel Valley that looks to be the real deal. No markings but pretty cool, old and dusty. And to think that someone forgot about such a specialty surf craft. Anyway just looking for someone that might shed a little light on this old (barn find) spoon. Thanks, T.
K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by K-man »

Home page.....Look under links.Flex spoon forum.
airboy808

Post by airboy808 »

pm sent
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

you're having a good run of luck looking under houses...a lis fish, and now a spoon.
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
T Hall

Post by T Hall »

Thanks! Yea, I guess I am. I've collected lots of boards over the years, some people brought them to my attention, other times it was a garage sale or just dumb luck. I've got rid of almost all of the longboards but still have a few old kneeboards kicking around that I couldn't bring myself to get rid of. Just now getting around to bringing the keepers up to speed and gathering info before I begin any restorations / repairs. See ya, T.
Bruzer
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Old spoons

Post by Bruzer »

Per chance does your flex spoon have a light blue tint and is about 5' long? I sold mine around 1974/75 for $15 or so. Hopefully some one is enjoying my old board either riding it or as a wall mounting if no longer rideable.
T Hall

Post by T Hall »

This one has an opaque cream color, kind of unusual. The board is L =5'3", kind of narrow at 21", nose is 19 and tail is 15 3/4". The foam narrows down to nothing at the nose like it's pinched and the foam on the rails extends all the way down, unlike most spoons that have plenty of flat glass below where the foam stops on the rails. Never seen one like it. I'm thinking that someone that knew how to build was playing around with design/ flex when they built this one, not sure, really has me scratching my head. T.
Scott

Post by Scott »

T Hall, let me get you in touch with my brother, Mark. There's not much he doesn't know spoons, from construction to surfing them--that was his thing for years. Check your PM for more info.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Bruzer

Flex spoon

Post by Bruzer »

We'd be interested in how it rides once you've taken it out for a test spin or two or three.
T Hall

Post by T Hall »

Would love to ride this board but unfortunately I weigh 220 pounds and this board at 5'3" and narrow at 21" was obviously made for a smaller guy. Will be building one more suited for a heavier rider in the near future. But you never know, If at some point I get this spoon repaired and it seems strong enough I might give it a spin. I would have to give it some on land flex tests to make sure that I wouldn't damage the board by riding it. But being a kneeboarder - yes for sure I want to ride it, we'll see. If I do I'll make sure to give a full report. See ya, T Hall.
T Hall

Post by T Hall »

Thanks Scott for your thoughts and insight! Yes this board is probably a capable board builders attempt at a spoon of a different flavor. I'm going to go ahead and do all of the necessary repairs and see if we can't get her back in the water some time soon. I'll make sure to give you all an update as soon as that happens. Thanks, T Hall.
AM_Glass
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Re: Flex spoon

Post by AM_Glass »

I live in Oakland, ride my spoon on occasion. I voulenteer to ride yours and share my experience!
It could be worse, I could be in Oakla-homa.