Is the volume really necessary?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

crox
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by crox »

Thanks Dunc.
The photos were to show where you can remove foam from without increasing the chance of bogging. When up & riding you just appreciate the lower centre of gravity.

album_showpage.php?pic_id=33603

album_showpage.php?pic_id=33603&mode=prev#TopPic
"All we are saying, is give knees a chance"
Lefty
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Lefty »

i have a scoop deck. it's an absolute dog.
i know you also have issues with duckdiving...scoop decks are impossible to get under a wave with the foam left in the nose.
Dunc wrote:Unless the water spills in to the area that has had the foam removed and gives it neutral buoyancy. In a theoretical world this would never happen but in the real world this would happen on the first test surf. Isn't this what the shoe was all about? http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000195.jpg

I think MJ sets it out pretty nicely.
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
crox

Post by crox »

Lefty wrote:i have a scoop deck. it's an absolute dog.
i know you also have issues with duckdiving...scoop decks are impossible to get under a wave with the foam left in the nose.
Dunc wrote:Unless the water spills in to the area that has had the foam removed and gives it neutral buoyancy. In a theoretical world this would never happen but in the real world this would happen on the first test surf. Isn't this what the shoe was all about? http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000195.jpg

I think MJ sets it out pretty nicely.
There are boards.....& boards.....
This board duckdives super easy & no water pools on the deck.
My only issue with duckdiving is I would like it to be more like John John's version than the average kneeboard style!
"All we are saying, is give knees a chance"
norm

Re: Is the volume really necessary?

Post by norm »

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I got a simple question that may not have a simple answer. I recently got a proven "MAGIC" 5'7" board that rides unbelievable. If I want a longer board (i.e. 6 feet) that performs like my magic 5'7", would I want the same volume?

or ..... once I find a really good board and know the volume, would I ask for the same volume (when I order another board) even though the lengths of boards change?

aloha,
norm
knee-rider

Post by knee-rider »

Hi Norm always ask for the same volume you found yourself comfortable with while paddling and surfing
Its all about figuring out what volume works best for you
This will be determined by your paddling skills, your surfing level and many other factors
I have been living overseas in Europe now for 20 years and the Europeans all work on the liter volume factors on their boards
The windsurfing industry started this trend and it has transferred into the surfboard world -- even some US brands are now reporting on their web sites the liter volume factor-- they probably export their products overseas

The general rule used here is to match your weight in Kg with the reported surfboard volume in liters -- this is when you start up surfing as a beginner
You start dropping liters of volume as your surfing skill level rises
My latest kneeboard was built by Thomas Patrick and he estimated my volume around 55/60 liters -- I weigh in at 100 kg at age 59
He thought that this board was a bit "corky" for his taste--but I guarantee you with the right volume I was catching every wave at Tourmaline during my parental visit this past Feb. Also I am guaranteed small waves typical of the Med Madness (Mediterranean fickle sea)
Some surfers prefer a board for easy duck diving -- I rather increase my wave count and be able to paddle faster around incoming waves
I love that tad of extra volume-- But Thomas knew how to keep it away from the rails and concentrate it towards the center of the board-- To "spread" out my volume needs I usually increase the lengths of my boards and width, generally all above 6.0 in length and wider then 23 1/2-- some reached also a whopping 25" width :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
This is my two cents
it's all about the ride
norm

Post by norm »

Thanks Knee-rider for the insight. I've been surfing for awhile now...decades actually and I still am trying to get magic boards . I have a quiver of really great boards, but once in awhile you get a magic one. I'll try to match the volume of my 5'7" that I am just so happy with and if I get another one built, I'll ask Buddy for the same volume. Just as a barometer... if I sat on my 5'7" board while in the lineup and the water was a couple inches above my belly button, would a 6'0" with the same volume sit about the same depth?
I am about the same age as you, and really believe in the easier paddling and catching waves has the nod over duck diving. Thanks for the reply... that's what so good about this site, perspectives from other kneelos.

Aloha,
norm
knee-rider

Post by knee-rider »

sorry for the late reply
yes volume can be distributed in length or width in order to try and match your favorit board
I am big into wave count and willing to sacrifice duck diving-- go turtle in the worst case scenario-- but dont make me loose wave count
I am a weekend surfer and that is when I am lucky to get a swell so to me small is just as important to get out in the water and volume
is so important when small
it's all about the ride