Max Kneeboard Length for Effective Fin Use? 5'10" Surfe

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

surfer.prof
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Max Kneeboard Length for Effective Fin Use? 5'10" Surfe

Post by surfer.prof »

Hi. My question is: how short should I go when ordering my kneeboard so that I can use fins for virtually all my propulsion? I'm 5'10" with short legs (inseam 30") and weigh 168 lbs. I'm thinking of ordering a 5'7" squash tail, double bump, five fin from Romo. Is that going to be short enough to work with my swim fins or should I go shorter? I'm a twenty-year veteran stand-up surfer who, because of osteoarthritis (and surfer's elbow/tendinitis) in my elbows, is switching to kneeboarding. I'll be able to arm paddle a little, if necessary, to get into waves, but I have to minimize it or the joing will continue to disintegrate. Also, will making the board a little thinner or thicker affect fin effectiveness much? Thanks for any advice you can give me. This is my first post and I'm excited about learning a new way to ride waves. For a few years as my elbows worsened, I was afraid I'd have to stop surfing. After seeing a kneeboarder rip at Huntington Beach in big surf, I realize that I don't have to quit. I just have to start over!
Lefty
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Lefty »

welcome to the kneelo world, professor.
sorry to hear about your osteoarthritis.

if you find that a standard kneeboard doesn't allow you to just use fins, then maybe have a look at guys that ride paipo-style boards on their knees, such as the late Captain Bud Scelsa. all the best.

http://legless.tv/post/64005976417/here ... know-where

http://legless.tv/post/66860101182/bud- ... erday-that
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
airboy808

Post by airboy808 »

Or you can ride a spoon or close to spoon like board
KenM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KenM »

S.P, I'm also 5'10" with a 30" inseam. I probably kick most of the time, legs hanging off the board upper body supported by my elbows. The exception being when catching waves, I move forward and use arms and legs. My boards range from 5'8"" to 6'1" and I have no trouble kicking any of them. At your weight 5'7" will work great.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by maxb »

A 5'7" is about right for what you want to accomplish, the only suggestion I would make ,would be to keep it around 23" wide or more ,and fairly thin 2.25" thick.
Ron keeps his boards flat across the deck so thickness is distributed across the width of the board.
I'm gonna be spending a bit of time in the shaping room with him very soon myself ( have an idea or 2 we need to put to foam)
Good luck and welcome
Max
kbing newport
gumby

Post by gumby »

Porf. Where you at I suggest barrowing a board or two. Seeing you are looking at a Romo Your So Cal? Welcome to the brotherhood. We are the Knights that say Knee. Check out the 5'10" Romo HankJ has up for sale.
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
Fossil Man
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Fossil Man »

I agree on the 5'-7'' length, at least on your starter board. I'm 5-11'' and around 175 lbs.; my Romo 5'-7'' swallowtail is short enough to get max efficiency from my flippers while paddling into a wave and feels a little more manageable than some of my larger boards. Maybe go with a width of 23'' to 23 1/2'', it really gives a shorter kneeboard a lot more glide through the softer sections. Welcome Professor
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
surfer.prof

Thanks

Post by surfer.prof »

Thanks, guys. I didn't get some of your feedback until I'd already ordered. I went with a 5'7" x 22" x 2.4" double-bump squash with five fin boxes. It'll be ready soon. After your comments, I just hope it's not too narrow. I'll figure out how to ride it, I'm sure.
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

I would have sworn there was a question about glassing on this thread this morning when I looked at it… ( can these be deleted by author ? ) Anyway, your'e new Romo board's gonna rock Professor, Ron is a masterful shaper, his boards are fast and perform straight up without any drama. Enjoy the ride !
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
KenM

Post by KenM »

Fossil, you didn't imagine it, had to do with gloss coats, and yes, you can delete your own post. This message will self destruct in six...........
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by Fossil Man »

Yeah I thought maybe I needed another cup of coffee before I checked the posts next time. Thanks Ken