"fish eyes" in epoxy hot coat

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

rippe75
Local (More than 25 post)

"fish eyes" in epoxy hot coat

Post by rippe75 »

anyone know how to avoid fish eyes when hot coating with epoxy resin? I don't have any additives such as additive F. Just resin and hardner
Time and tide...
C.P.Odom
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by C.P.Odom »

I would assume you have a contaminate in the substrate. Most fish eyes (from the auto paint world) are caused by silicone, oils, grease, etc. Any kind of wax, cleaners, etc that can leave airborne contaminates on the board could cause fish eyes. Try using an automotive paint finish oil and wax remover before hot coating the board.
Never leave well enough alone.
Carl.E

Post by Carl.E »

kid borracho
rippe75

Post by rippe75 »

Thanks C.P and Carl
Time and tide...
tomway
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by tomway »

Probably a bit late now Rippe, but my advice on this is that unless you are using an expensive surfboard resin or have additive F, I would do a poly hotcoat over your epoxy lam. Sanding epoxy makes you want to slit your wrists otherwise (unless you've got additive F which makes sanding gorgeous.)

So long as your lam is well sealed it'll be fine. I usually stick a kitchen scourer (white if you can get it) on the sanding pad of my sander/polisher and then set to the board making sure all the shinies are taken out of the epoxy making sure I get in to the weave. You can use a bit of hot water and soap if your epoxy has an milky/oily feeling to it (hardware store epoxies are like that sometimes, I think the correct term is "blush".) Then rinse, dry and hotcoat.

Don't believe the 'incompatible systems' hype. An epoxy finish will be lighter, and have a better bond, but in reality a well done poly hotcoat will last for the life of your board without chipping. 8)
rippe75

Post by rippe75 »

Hey Tom
The poly hotcoat was exactly what I did. I sanded off the previous attempt with the epoxy. I've ridden it a few times now. Makes the small stuff fun
Time and tide...