First Kneeboard as a Shortboard?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Doc H
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

First Kneeboard as a Shortboard?

Post by Doc H »

Hi all. I'm new to kneeboarding but love what I've been seeing around the San Diego area. However, I've had a surprising amount of difficulty locating a kneeboard at local shops. My question is, I've taken a liking to Iron Cross Surfboard's Chubby Dolphin and Firewire's Baked Potato. These are both stand-up boards but their dimensions are, for all intents, identical to kneeboards. Would a wide, thick, shorter stand-up board be an acceptable alternative to an actual honest to goodness kneeboard? The only tangible difference I can see between the two is the positioning of the fins might be a tad farther back on the stand-up boards.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Doc H
joe
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by joe »

The days when you could buy a kneeboard off the racks in most shops is long gone. Greenroom in OB may have some more traditional quad or keel fish kneeboards. Frog house in Newport Beach usually has a few kneeboards on the rack.

There are a few shapers in San Diego that will build you a custom board. Your best bet might be to find a used board from one of the members here.

Joe
Lefty
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Lefty »

they might sort of look similar....but they're not.
to kneeboard, buy a kneeboard.
have fun!
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
Scott

Post by Scott »

Doc, this advice by Lefty is sound. Most guys getting into kneeboarding buy a good used kneeboard off someone (and there are plenty of guys in the San Diego area alone), as well as meet up with some guys and try a few of their boards--there's quite a few guys in the San Diego - Oceanside area. Just post if you want a few of them to contact you for a meet-up and surf session.

Once you've got a real kneeboard and begin to unlock its marvelous secrets, you can take your experiences and ideas and put in for a custom shape for you that will further up your game. That's what a lot of guys do...

BTW, once you've learned how a modern kneeboard works in a variety of conditions, then you might want to try the Firewire and see how it behaves in comparison. I know there is one guy on this site who has used the Hot Potato board and had the fins moved up on it.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!