knee board deck grip

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

damian coase

knee board deck grip

Post by damian coase »

Kneeboarding Deck Grip and Clear Grip Tape.
There is no doubt that kneeboarders are a breed of their own, but as I watch surfboard shapers refine their hybrid boards more and more until they look like kneeboards you realize that maybe we have something to offer.
One thing which goes without saying on any modern kneeboard is deck grip. As some of us are in the twilight of our surfing lives we long ago learnt that to ensure the longevity of our knees and hips some sort of shock absorption and grip was essential. Whether it is shop bought, purpose built kneepads or some sort of home made creation [which can be pretty smick] they are one thing you can’t live without.
Once we had the knee pads sorted back in the 80’s that only left you with one other problem and that was that you still had to use wax on the front and back of your board to give you some traction for your hands when you got up and to try and keep your feet or flippers on the board.
It took until 2014 for a [what I think is brilliant] solution and that is Riley clear grip. This gives a finish that is similar to the textured decks of old and is remarkably grippy. It has the advantages of being clear so any fancy tints or sprays show through and has coped with all conditions on two of my boards for the last six months or so. You don’t need to worry about waxing up or melted wax and you are not continually using a petrochemical by-product.
It all seems like a win win situation and I am struggling to see any negatives with this stuff. Check out the photos of two of my boards on the Riley website, using the grip and have a look at www.balsasurfboardsriley.com.au for details and online shop.
Note: I have used some strips of the clear grip on my boards. Riley sell all shapes and sizes to suit all types of boards. For my brand new board I am going to buy a single piece of grip to stick in front of the knee pads.
Damian [Pineapple] Coase
Paul
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

deck grip

Post by Paul »

Pro's:
1. Eco friendly. Little or no petrochemicals.
2. Longevity.
3. Better looking than wax.
4. Less messy than wax.

Con's
1. Not really clear. Looks more translucent milky white.
2. I don't see strips of tape available for purchase, except as paddle grip.
3. Super expensive to try out. The paddle grip tape went from AU$2.75 to AU$41+ after shipping. (I must be doing something wrong, too, because the cost of two paddle grips simply doubled the overall price to AU$82+)
4. Wax in The States is still only about a buck a bar.
5. How does it feel? The old glass-on deck grips from the '70's used to shred any exposed skin, even the palms of your hands.
6. Is it a bit gummy as well as having friction? Difficult to keep clean/wear out? What's the "goo" factor?

I scoped out one of my friend's Outer Island short boards because he doesn't use any wax on those top shelf expensive boards. The glass-on deck grip he had was very functional, very clear, and not quite as abrasive as the stuff from the '70's, but I still wouldn't want it under my chest. Maybe the rails, but not under the chest, thighs or knees. Full deck pads take care of that issue though.

The jury is still out on this one for me.
CONTIKI
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by CONTIKI »

Have to go with Paul on this one.

It's almost as much as I paid for my board, after shipping to Huntington.

I like the idea though... :roll:
*WAVES ARE OF THE ESSENCE*
5 SUMMER STORIES