concave deck kneeboard

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

PES78
Local (More than 25 post)

concave deck kneeboard

Post by PES78 »

Thinking of doing something like a spoon but having some foam left in it seeing that I'm a bigger guy and would want it to float half way decent. Looking at doing a poly blank stringerless and glassing it with s glass.

Paul
PES78

Re: concave deck kneeboard

Post by PES78 »

Blank has been ordered, 7'3 A stringerless should be enough foam.
damien_o

Post by damien_o »

Gday Paul

See

album_showpage.php?pic_id=27829

Unfortunately I live in Sydney otherwise I would be prepared to sell it to you at a reasonable price ... Chris Brock made it for me ... it is 6'2" and you can see the scooped deck ...

good luck with it ... cheers damo
PES78

Post by PES78 »

Hey Damian how did the board feel for you? I'm hoping to feel some flex on turns and closer to the water. I've been riding bellyboards for the last 6 months or so and really like the closeness to the wave. Right now the plan is to scoop out the foam like a spoon and have the tail thinned out. Will post pictures once I start shaping it.
PES78

Post by PES78 »

Started the board last night. It's 5'3" 22.5" 3.25" with the foam carried out to the rails. Very low rocker with the bottom flat with vee in the last 18". Nose and tail widths are at 18 and 18.75. Question I have is if the boards pretty short do I move the fins back? I'm thinking right now fronts between 12-14" and then split the difference on the rears. Will post pics this weekend.

Paul
PES78

Post by PES78 »

So I finished the board last night. Ended up with less foam than I thought at 2.5 in the middle of the concave and 2.75 out at the rails, I tend to over shape sometimes. Anyway I'm pretty happy the way it came out there are a few flaws but other that I'm ok with it. We'll have to see how the lower volume works out. Here is a link to some pictures tried uploading here but site said files to big, and I'm not sure how to make them smaller.

www.flickr.com/photos/59889270@N00/?
PES78

Post by PES78 »

I'm rethinking this board. Will have to order another blank. Not sure when though. Will be cutting 2" off each end and do a bellyboard.
PES78

Post by PES78 »

Well I think I could still kneeride it at 4'11", will need to have some push I would think. I'm also going to be learning how to glass on this board. Hopefully have it done for the Crystal pier contest to show anyone that's interested. Did the fin boxes last week and will be doing the bottom lam Wednesday night.
PES78

Post by PES78 »

Thinking of taking deck glass off this board and taking foam out of the rails and out of the nose and middle. Attemping to make a spoon because its been in my head to long. Just need to see if a glass shop will reglass the deck for me. Anyone think it is worth it?
thebagman
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by thebagman »

Hey Kneeler's. Here's a waterskate from the 70's by one of my old neighbors in Carlsbad, CA. He like Greenough made a lot of innovative stuff.
Attachments
G&S Waterskate KB.jpg
Plastics Technology Graduate 1974
Sunset Cliffs Kneeboarder 1970's
Steve Lis Apprentice
KenM
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KenM »

Tom Morey.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by PES78 »

Well revisiting this board again. I did end up stripping the glass off the original board and was going to make a paipo out of it but ended up messing up the board anyway. So I ordered another blank today, going with 5'10 RP Blue density stringerless poly blank. It will be a hybrid of a kneeboard and paipo, planning on splitting the difference from what all my other boards have been. Dims will be 5' 22" 2.75" out at the rails and 2.25-2" in the center of the concave deck. Bottom will be a bit different with two channels down each side of the center getting deeper as you get closer to the tail. Will run it as a twin and glassing with be epoxy. S cloth top and bottom with a vector net patch were the deck pad will be. Will post some pics when I start the board in a couple weeks, I'm shaping it up at Basham's and can only get up there on the weekends.
Josh Peters

Post by Josh Peters »

can't wait to see pictures sounds great. :D
Josh Peters
PES78

Post by PES78 »

Well it didn't work out the way I wanted so I think shaping one is pretty much over. I ended up doing a paipo to save the blank but not to happy with the outcome. May be the last one I shape.
PES78

Post by PES78 »

So I went for another try on this one and I'm pretty happy the way it came out. 5'x22" unknown thickness. Concave deck with a double concave through the fins. It's set up as a twin. Files are two big can't post them here, here's a link.

http://mypaipoboards.org/forum3/viewtop ... 9&start=10