70's flex spoon, fin questions and restoration

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

hansel20

70's flex spoon, fin questions and restoration

Post by hansel20 »

Hey guys,

always wanted one, and finally got this off craigslist in NJ usa. The story is that the owner and his family would frequent Australia in the 70's and 80's on family trips. He got this, shipped it back and never rode it.. as it sat in his garage till a month ago. As im starting to fill cracks and fix holes, cleaned out all the garbage where the old fin snapped off. I thought I would share and get some opinions. Im going to be building myself a stage IV fin for it (volan) and gonna be glassing it back in. Ive herd george used a bolt through the top of his box to make it adjustable?

Anyway, if anybody has any info on the board or anything regarding the finishing of the board feel free.
image3.JPG
(48.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
image2.JPG
(42.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
image1.JPG
(52.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
AM_Glass
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Re: 70's flex spoon, fin questions and restoration

Post by AM_Glass »

Hello Hansel
Welcome to the flex spoon world. If you search for posts you should be able to get some discussions on flex spoons.
I would suggest not using a bolt on the fin. Because the board flexes and the fin doesn't (in the direction at least) the point where they connect will experience high strain. Any weak spots or concentrated pressure points will be a problem. Glassing spreads out the strength and will work. That being said, try it anyway! There's still much to be learned about flex spoons, so you may contribute to what we know.
My suggestion for riding the spoon is to get large fins. The Dr Deets UDT or Duck Feet. Power is key to getting in as early as possible. With the minimal float of flex spoons your gonna be in late anyway.
It could be worse, I could be in Oakla-homa.