Been working on some special glassing techniques...

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

BSD
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Been working on some special glassing techniques...

Post by BSD »

So since I have started shaping more Kneelos recently, besides over-all design work, I've begun to work on improving the durability as well. Knees have a very damaging effect on decks. Even with a good deck pad. Over-glassing just seems to add a lot of unnecessary weight. It also just takes all the flex out leaving a very rigid board.

I have begun to add some semi-circular patches which add strength directly under knees. In a new build, I have used 6oz. Volan. seems extremely strong.

If you look carefully, you can see the patches before wetting out the cloth. The last shot shows a way of reducing weight by utilizing a single layer in the tail area. reducing weight and increasing flex. Fun stuff!

Refinement, refinement, refinement.

Mark Ramirez
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: Been working on some special glassing techniques...

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Sounds like you're doing awesome glassing on the kneeboards :!:
BSD

Re: Been working on some special glassing techniques...

Post by BSD »

Thanks.
I have a relentless passion for building surfcraft. That board pictured above was sent to Japan. Concave deck with a special botttom I incorporate for helping wider boards turn better.
Love to build ya one!

Did this one last week too using similar glassing technique.