New to kneeboarding

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Freddy Vik
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

New to kneeboarding

Post by Freddy Vik »

Hi Guys,
I have been a standup surfer for a long time and recently was given a 1980' s twin fin scoop deck 5'3 x 23 inch wide not sure of thickness, probably 2.75 inch or so. I am 175 lbs 5'11 over 50yo and in reasonable shape. Should this size board float me Ok. Should I use fins to assist getting into waves? If so what style of fins is best? The board is having some glassing restorations to make watertight. Can't wait to try it out, that's why I am asking these questions?
Regards,
Freddy.
joe
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: New to kneeboarding

Post by joe »

Hi Freddy,
Welcome to the dark side. The board that you have is on the short side by modern kneeboard standards, but should work for you. Give it a try and let us know how if goes. Come down to the KSUSA contest on March 10 if you want to meet other kneeriders and see what they are riding.

Fins are a personal preference. They do give you an advantage catching waves and cruising the lineup. If you're in good shape, you may prefer to go without. There are lots of options and lots of opinions on what's the best flippers. I prefer fit and comfort over power. Churchills have always worked for me.

Joe
Freddy Vik

Post by Freddy Vik »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the advice, pity I can't make it at this stage on March 10, as I live in Torquay, Australia. Will be in Hawaii on holidays in July though! Kneelo activity in Australia is mainly based in Sydney and Gold Coast, QLD. But I am looking forward to giving it a good go!!

I think anything one can try to accomplish in the water is a great thing. The stoke definately keeps me going. Will see how I go flipper wise.

Regards,

Freddy.
joe

Post by joe »

Then you need to get down to Phillip Island for the Phillip Island Kneeboard Pro in March 18-19. All the best kneeboarders in Australia will be there.
https://www.facebook.com/16062114072273 ... =3&theater
Freddy Vik

Post by Freddy Vik »

Cool, will have to do some internet searching to see what else is happening!!

Thanks Joe
Freddy Vik

Post by Freddy Vik »

Hi Joe,
Have the board back and paddles well! Waiting for the right day to catch some fast moving swell! Things will be coming together surf wise soon with the advent of Autumn which also culminates with the Rip Curl Bells Beach Pro around Easter time!

Regards,

Freddy Vik