lose the gloss, add some foam...

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

arionelli
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

lose the gloss, add some foam...

Post by arionelli »

Kind of a quick couple of questions, guys:
Just acquired a 6'x22x2.5"x35l, has great low fine rails, slightly lowish rocker but set up for mostly below doh(standing) all round surf. I had it glassed to the max, plus gloss, for longevity, since my justabout 69yrs are not gonna bust airs and all that to challenge the current crown prince. Therefore firstly, would sanding off the beautiful gloss coat, which I don't mind doing once the newness is a bit lacklustre, make any / much difference in response?
Perhaps I should have asked for that 2-3 extra litres of vol, kept away from the rails, because in soft stuff which I mostly get where I currently am it's a bit of a haul to get in early. I was thinking of adding a shaped layer of eps, complete with kneewells down to the original deck to minimise denting the eps. That may give me enough extra flotation to help in takeoff etc (I'm 77-79kg, 170+ lbs). Secondly, what I would like to know about that is will that stuff be waterproof and strong enough if I use epoxy to weld it to the deck and also cover it? I'm handy enough to do a passable job of the craftwork, having made a handful of boards in the last year or so with fair to middling, but nowhere near precise and perfect results in most of the aspects.
Thanks a lot for helpful info, Mart.
of all the things I've ever lost I think I miss my mind the most