Rocker and Blank Question

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Do You think we should have a thread called "Ask the shaper?"

Yes
92%
No
No votes
All of the above
8%

Total votes: 39

hart
Legend (Contribution King!)

blanks

Post by hart »

headwax

Given that Dions just extracted thousands of $ from me today, I just had to answer.. :)

I use this blank..it was designed for kneeboards but the standup fish market has given it a new lease of life and it is in production now every day.

I don't know what 'standard' rocker is. I have my own stringer template from which my blanks are glued and that determins my rocker (or more specifically deckline. Rocker can be shaped..deckline cannot). Dions offer a range of curves..from a full curve KB1 to the moderate KB5 and then they have really straight ones after that.

I never move a 'shorter' board back from the nose of a blank because this alters your deckline..if you want less nose, glue it with less.

Dions 'supa-lite' blanks are colour coded blue..and this blank is mid-range in terms of weight.

I don't like super, super lite weight blanks because their cell structure seems more open and they inevitably soak more resin when they are laminated.

Are you looking to buy one of these blanks?

hart
hart

Keg

Post by hart »

Wax..

Greg goes off..he was the ONLY guy linking outside Cronulla with the inside.

Now..Greg gets his blanks from me..so despite my rockered conclusions..he cuts them straight (off the bottom).

Its no surprise that Sheely uses Midget's foam. Most standups do (because they are so well shaped as plugs).

But they to me..they don't allow me the diversity of Dion's foam.

Go the KB5 and let me know what he thinks.

hart
hart

x-curve

Post by hart »

mate you could try to buy my curve..

but the gluers and lads from Barry Bennett (Dion) ARE sworn to secrecy.

They know it was my first paying surfboard job c 1975..foiling fins (yuk0

it's a small consolidation of loyalty from Harbord Road for which I am always grateful.

Besides..they would always ask me first.

And then u would get the OK. :)

hart
hart

vote

Post by hart »

No..but I have now

Remember that foam is strongest at its crust.

this is why you glue to your deckline..one cut only on the top..and then shape from your bottom.

too easy.

cut whatever you choose for your rocker and your deck will be as strong as it can.

and my curve is available to everyone..coz its what you do with it that makes the difference.. :wink:

always

hart
toofast
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by toofast »

Hey buddys... The blanks I buy are from Clark. A 63C blank ultralite. When I go to shape it, the first thing I decide is how much nose rocker I want. Until a few weeks ago, I thought that the "rocker" meant how much the nose was sticking up. I didn`t know that it meant the curvacure of the hole board. But I always sloped the tail anyway. Then I play with the rest.
As for the dentisy, I have notice that the pours in the foam seem to smaller. I also noticed that the foam seem to softer to work with and I had to really careful as I handled it.
hart

?

Post by hart »

there are almost too many questions here..

yet almost as surprisingly, there is an answer to all.

but for now..get your hands on the foam first.

always a good place to start.

:)

hart

PS

I gotta talk to Josh..again