Fin setups on boards for bigger waves

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

albert
Legend (Contribution King!)

Fin setups on boards for bigger waves

Post by albert »

I guess this is kind of a spinoff of the Too tight vs. Too loose discussion...

Over the years I havent deviated too much when it comes to the fins setups on my larger boards. They are always further back than my regular boards from 1/4 to 1/2" back. Just wondering if anyone has 2 cents to put into this one.

I am considering not moving my fins back on my next big board(s) seeing as I really cant turn too well them once I get comfortable with the conditions.

Thanks
hart

fins

Post by hart »

How's it Albert?

I don't reckon you should move them back..in fact, quite often in bigger boards I tend to move them forward.

This also has the advantage of maintaining adequate width between both rail fins. Bigger boards (usually) have narrower tails and by moving fins 'back' they will naturally come closer together..which I'm not sure is a good thing.

PS

Steen rang me yesterday..Simon's vid to premiere in Wollongong next Friday night?

Be there or be square..too bloody cool

8)

hart
albert

Post by albert »

Yep, Simon's little premiere is about two blocks from my place, Ill be there for sure