Domes

Post'em here...

Moderator: Moderator

willli
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Domes

Post by willli »

It was common surfer knowledge among those traveling to Puerto Rico that stepping on an urchin was going to be painful. Aside from pulling the spines buried like splinters in your epidermis, the standard homeopathy was autologus urine applied to the offended area in stream form. Now this method worked fine for tops of feet, but hitting the bottom was another story.
The surf in front of Antonio’s was closing out after a 20yard tease, so much like Long Island beach break that we struck out along the path past Sandy Beach, figuring we would walk the perimeter of Domes to Maria’s. Well we paused at Domes, taken aback by the razor edge peelers, not a drop out of place, and wondered why nobody was out. A few steps toward the water revealed a robust urchin field and even though the Long Island maxim “Never turn your back on good surf!” was fully operational in our heads, we turned and walked towards Maria’s, which edging into view revealed 30+ dudes already out. We turned and returned to Domes.
VERY carefully we inched our way through the urchin field till knee to thigh high water was achieved, then paddled, avoiding deep strokes till we knew we were in deep enough water where we relaxed and started having a good time in the absolutely perfect waves. I was riding a Steve Walden diamond tail with side biters and 7-inch skeg, 6 foot long, very progressive for 1972, when my hair was long and I stormed into cutbacks. Back then my surfing was influenced by my waterskiing and I liked nothing better than skiing slalom laying into turns out on the whip and ski rope in one hand lay out deep carves where I could brush the surface with the other, as if time stopped for that moment and I could dance a finger at 30mph on a surface two inches from my nose. To me what was possible on a surfboard was all about speed and gaining the moment, the rush, the power carve, the rebound, the cover-up, and here in glorious Caribbean warmth just me and my mates out in fast perfect waves, dancing.
At first we didn’t notice the three blond hair bronze surfers regarding us from the beach, but their conversation drifted towards us and the only word I could make out was “David”. They watched for a while and kept up this pointing and conversing, toward ME. The one kept insisting and pointing and finally took a run at the water and leaped on to his board, riding out from the beach till he retreated to prone and stroked out with abandon. I was mighty impressed with his disregard for the spiny urchin, and his sun bleached hair and tan spoke SURFER in volumes as he stroked right toward me. Now I’m not sure who was more shocked, for as he said “You’re not David NuuuWayVah!” I couldn’t believe anyone could be so dumb as to mistake me, a schmoe from Long Island for a Huntington Beach icon, and my friends were already ginning up the prank machine as they laughed in the water, falling off their boards, but this dude who obviously needed glasses turned and proned one right back toward the beach because his friends had started walking toward Maria’s and as he bumped his skeg in the shallows he stood up, RIGHT ON TOP OF AN URCHIN. But the funny part was he fell over in pain and SAT on one as well, which led to his very painful dilemma. Of course his wails of pain drew his mates back in a run, and we REALLY tried to stop laughing because this was serious for him, so we grudgingly inched our way in to offer help.
Now I’m not dumb as a potato but here is this dude lying on his stomach urchin spines protruding from the sole of his right foot and his right cheek so to speak, begging his friends to urinate on him, in the offended areas, because he had no idea how to reach them with his own water. And let me tell you he tried, almost out of desperation, owning to the fact his mates were unwilling to unzip, so to speak, and do the dirty deed, horrified as they were at the sight of those black spines protruding from his buttocks and feet. And the sight of him balancing on one foot, his mates holding him steady, while he tried to aim a weak stream at the sole of his foot, his trunks dancing near his ankle, revealing his Coppertone tan in all its contrast, too much to bare in the Puerto Rican sun. This of course did nothing for his aching bum and try as he would each time he tried to shoot round the hip he managed to squirt one of his friends whilst nary a drop fell in his intended place. This pissed off his mates so to speak, who pulled away abruptly, leaving him teetering on one leg till he toppled in the coral sand holding his member for protection. And there he lay as we gained the beach in a feeble effort to assist.
It must have been an odd sight that greeted the men from Mayaguez rounding the path at Domes, this naked blonde surfer squirming on the ground surrounded by other surfers, none of whom could pass water for sake of their own mate. They happened by looking for a shady place to mark and here in front of them was a perfect opportunity to express their opinion of the gringo surfer, and they obliged, unzipping and looking around at these young idiots with broad smiles, so they flashed gold teeth and the steady stream splashing skin spoke volumes about relations with the mainland till the blonde naked dude puked from the excitement. It was that exact moment that the trades blew in, quickly hacking up perfect Domes, and me and my mates made haste for Antonio’s little bar on the beach, leaving blondie to the care of his mates, and achieving cold Corona we hoisted a glass “TO DAVID!” for indeed without him a trip to the john would be just ordinary. From that day hence, my sloop moored at Mt Sinai harbor was called “Laughing Pea” and only my mates with me in Puerto Rico in 1972 knew why.
Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Scott »

Wonderful story, Willi! You paint great word pictures and I felt I could see it all...at least all that I actually wanted to picture in my mind! :oops:

That is a story you'd never, ever forget. Great that your boat was also named after the incident!
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Willli, you are truly the Twain of ksusa, followed not far by Jon Manss.

Scott, I'm just trying to keep ahead of you in posts.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

lol that was an awesome story! I totally felt like i was there (also from a distance heh)
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

no no Willi is the king of stories here. I look forward to his every post. whats next Willi?