Post'em here...

Moderator: Moderator

MWROBERTSON
Legend (Contribution King!)

The Cursed Board!

Post by MWROBERTSON »

:twisted:

About a month ago, I met Don Harris and Mike Butler at The Huntington State Beach parking lot. That evening we were hoping to to get in a possible surf but the waves were small and blown out. We decided instead to gander at the latest shipment of new boards that Don recieved. Packed in the back of his trusty Jeep Cherokee, he had three of four new Parkseys that were absoblutely beautiful. One that really caught my eye was a 6ft quad rounded pintail. It was bright bumble bee yellow with a 1/4 inch black pinline outling the deck. SWEEET!

I was like ...Jeez, who is this for? Don said this is for Tom Linn.

Well two weeks ago on a Friday afterrnon, Tom and I decided to do a late afternoon session at Lower Trestles. It was hot-n-glassy with overhead and larger rights and lefts reeling off. Tom was all stoked to get the yellow gem in the water for a few turns. I was still drooling over the looks of the board and hoping to ride a few on it myself.

We hit the water and somehow managed to pick off a few sets right away. I asked Tom how the board was working after a few waves. He said good but it's doing some funny things. We chalked it up to the normal adjustment period on a new stick. Tom was surfing well as usual but as the day progressed he seemed to become more and more irratated with his performance.

After battelling the crowds for a long while I took a wave in. Tom soon followed and rode a shapely left to the beach. We talked about the board and how it rode when Tom had realized(who knows at what point in the session it occured?) he had lost one of his front fins! I suppose this had much to do with the way it rode. I asked Tom if he had tightened up the fins in the FCS, he said yes. I walked over to the board to get a feel of the tightness of the fins. Low & behold, I was able to pull ALL three of the remaing fins out with a minor upward tug.

Wow, three loose fins and one missing ANY board would ride funny.

IT GETS WORSE!

The next weekend Tom takes his family down to Baja (Las Gaviotas). Driving home along that long stretch by Baja Malibu, there is no turn- around point for miles. He hears a "SNAPPING" sound up on the roof of the car. "It must be the racks", Tom thinks. He finds a place and pulls over to see that his new Parkes and his sons board have BLOWN off the racks. He frantically looks for a spot to turn around but as you all know it's miles before you can turn around and go back in that area. Finally, he finds a place to turn around to get the boards. The problem now is where exactly did they blow off and are they smashed to bits?

Tom, his son and everyone else will never know! After an hour of searching, the boards were never to be found. Were they smashed? picked up by other travelling surfers? or will we see some kid named Miguel ripping on a bumble bee yellow Parkes quad at Baja Malibu or the points of northern Baja? :lol:
Last edited by MWROBERTSON on Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kneemor
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Yellow board

Post by kneemor »

I am picking up the same type of board from Don this weekend. Its a bumble bee yellow round pin tri with a center box and a black outline on the deck.

Hopefully I have better luck with it.
Ler

cursed

Post by Ler »

One for the Surf Gods. Thanks Tom for taking one for the team.
This is a sign of a good winter.
Jack Beresford

Board

Post by Jack Beresford »

Dont worry Tom - I saw that kid Miguel pulling huge airs and throwing gobs of spray at Powerplants. He did say "FCS no es muy bueno!"
Jack Beresford
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I'm going with Future Fins on my new board. John at Freelline gave me the 'future tour' and I like the way that the boxes are glued into the shaped blank and THEN glassed over.

After busting out a lot of boxes (the old Fins Unlimited kind), and with the advent of thrusters, I used to always ride with glassed-ons. But with a lot of surf travel in the near future, I was looking for removable fins to make packing easier. Besides a KB or two, I have to also carry my wife's boards.

Dan
kbing since plywood days
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

LOL Ler!

I too lusted after that board. Also got three sessions at Uppers on my old, buckled-and-repaired Friar Tuck. Surfed the lefts off Uppers on the Saturday, Sunday and Monday after your story. Lots of fun surf. Got in about 9 hours, which is a mighty hall pass from the family. Haven't surfed since.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Cursed my A$$.
The only thing that poor board was cursed by was too many Bong Rips....
EQ
scoop

Post by scoop »

one thing that always concerned me ....was the roof racks on the jeep cherokee.....though ive loaded mine up to the hilt with boards and done a 1000klm drive (klm=5/8 mile) and still havent lost any....but it does make me wonder even more.....i have that same dream every so often
sorry to hear you bad luck Tom
(look at the FCS travel racks)...they soft and pass through the inside.....never blow off

tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day

Post by Guest »

a few clarifications- The fins were not FCS but some Aussie system similar to FCS. I'm sure that would work great on boards that aren't cursed! Also, I have nice Thule racks on my Suburban, but that day in Mex I had so many boards on the Sub that I had to attach my kneeboard with budgie cords.

Lastly, after extensive investigation I have determined that the board was cursed by an aboriginal shaman who was also a learned voodoo discliple and satan worshiper. It seems that Parksey cut him off while surfing perfect 8-10 ft Lennox Heads the day before he shaped my board. This voodoo aborigine was so pissed at Parksey for dropping in on him that he placed a curse on Parksey right there at Lennox Heads such that the next board he shaped would be impossible for its owner to ride.

That board was like certain women, beautiful to look at, but impossible to ride, forever cursed by a voodoo aboriginal satan worshiping shaman.