The Parable Of The Ride.

Post'em here...

Moderator: Moderator

crox
Legend (Contribution King!)

The Parable Of The Ride.

Post by crox »

I'd noticed the yellowing on my tongue for some time - it's under control now but at it's worst it was a bright yellow.
They [the doctors] eventually realized what it was & treated it with some kind of fungicide.
They said it was the worst case they'd seen.

The onset was slow & although I had spent many hours thinking about it, surfing started to infiltrate it's way into more & more of my daily life.
I saw parallels in everything - in my work, in my art & in my driving - I would find myself leaning & even at times holding my breath.
For a while I could snap out of it & function on a normal level but the need to actually surf was slowly diminishing.
My new mental surf trip sought new wave grounds & I pulled up at this spot called Kneeboard Surfing USA. I paddled around the forums but just couldn't find what I was looking for - so I figured - hey! why not create my own wave.
I called it "Good Style - Bad Style?" & it grew thicker & heavier as "Good Form & Function wedged into it. I knew it would be a tricky take-off but the best waves are always the ones that challenge.
I made the sucky drop, buried my rail in a sweeping bottom turn . The wave started to wall quickly - I gathered momentum off of all the posts that were contributing to my ride - I utilized every warp in the face, avoided the rocks, screamed across a super shallow section - but all the time I had half an eye on my friends sat far away on the shoulder - I knew what I had to do!
I set up the biggest, low, hard driving cutback I could - A full power re-direction - the sheet of spray turned into words - the ones closest to me received the full impact - the ones further away - just a smattering & those that were surfing the next peak never saw it.

As I said - I'm better now - I'm glad - 'cos it's three feet & clean & I just gotta get out there!

Crox
Last edited by crox on Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Man O' War

Parabolic Curve

Post by Man O' War »

Crox,
Thanks for the creative outburst. As deeply as you buried your rail on that cutback, so deeply did you bury the meaning of your name with that parable.

mow
crox

Post by crox »

mow - please - NOT to be taken too seriously - just having at bit of fun with realtime - reality/unreality.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

That was a wonderful outburst of literary imagery; you didn't need to remove it. Pieces such as yours is what makes this site special. And, since we all are KBers, we're used to being called 'special'!

Don't hold back from writing anything and everything. I've shot off an email or two which I wish I could get back but sometimes, when you live by the email, you die by the email.

Let the creativity roll, baby!!!!

Deeper than any of you,
Dan
kbing since plywood days
Ler

???

Post by Ler »

Whats a parable?
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

one bull
two bulls
a parable

The spelling changes when its plural...
Man O' War

Clarification

Post by Man O' War »

Crox,
My friend, I was COMPLIMENTING you in my clumsy way. That was an excellent little story.

On this side of the pond, "crock" is short for "crock of sh_t." When someone tells you a story that is obviously a pack of lies, worthless, and a waste of your time, you say, "That was a crock!" It was a big bowl of excrement.

Your story was just the opposite. You cleverly capitalized on something that all of us secretly do -- surfing in our daydreams when we are frustrated by illness, flatness, our crummy performance, or whatever -- and you did it in way that took a lot of creative thought, and you produced something that was fun to read, fresh, unique, NOT a waste of time.

I was just trying to say in my inept American way that with your cool little parable, you made it impossible for me to ever associate your name ("Crox") with our crude American expression.

Sorry for the misunderstanding! I hope I've sufficiently removed my foot from my mouth and you won't hold this against me or my countrymen. Put that parable back up there. It deserves a place in the annals of ksusa classics. Keep up the good work!

mow [/b][/u]
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

And I was thinking that a parable was a new, KB bottom design.....
kbing since plywood days
crox

Post by crox »

The problem of seeing things in a multi layered way is wondering if someone has seen something that you didn't intend - and if you have to explain the layers it sort of defeats the object!
I hoped it had not been construed as arrogant as it was meant to entertain.
I have reinstated it.
Thanks mow & surfhorn - and mow.......... I think I might change my name!
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Crox,
if you put it out there and your heart was in the right place, leave it. there will always be someone who sees the dark side of things or simply does'nt get what you mean and might misconstrue your real meaning. don't let this stop you from saying what you have to say because we all benefit from all the varied opinions here on this site. i guess the more creative you are, the more open for interpretation. but hey brah, don't let caution stifle creativity!
aloha,
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Beeline2.0

Re: ???

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
red

Post by red »

Parables may be what we need to be able to speak about what we do. Here's what research into computer-facilitated groups has shown:

1. There are obvious benefits if experts can be persuaded to share their knowledge over the internet (the "Technique" thread?).

2. Groups establish informal, but rigid codes of behaviour and share knowledge by: stories; concentration on particular aspects of a problem; broadcast of opinions; and thoughts that are not really related to the thread - this post?). We see all of these on KSUSA.

3. BUT Bragging about one's achievements is not considered acceptable. Thus broadcasting expert advice or "best practice" on the internet is not culturally accepted (hey, this is the research speaking, not me!)

We can see this effect in these forums. The experts are conspicuous in their absence. People who have achieved a high level of technical and stylistic expertise have a lot to contribute, but are restricted by the culture that might term them a wanker for trying to convey their knowledge (is KS culture so separatist that we won't learn from one another?).

Parables could be the mechanism we need to get people talkng about their expertise
or do we just need a supportive, nurturing environment (you may laugh - it wasn't meant seriously - too many self help books and talk radio)

How's this for a start:
"Once upon a time there was a boy whose knees were too close together. This proved to a quite a problem when walking up hills. and he kept falling over in church....
blah blah blah something about two fists blah blah
Man O' War

Parable Defined

Post by Man O' War »

At Seminary they drummed into our heads the definition of a parable: IT IS AN EARTHLY STORY WITH A HEAVENLY MEANING, AN EARTHLY STORY WITH A HEAVENLY MEANING...

By that definition Crox's tale obviously qualifies.

Red and all you other budding parable writers out there, come on, fear not. Inspire us.

mow
scoop

Post by scoop »

guy's
listen to "Crash Test Dummy's'' ....."MMMMMMM"
they talk about parables
Hey MOW....you get hold of the board yet???????
whats happening?

Tony
Merry Xmas all....

gee had to edit twice.....
actually 4 times
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Man O' War

Blue Bottle

Post by Man O' War »

Scooper,
That beautiful board, that generous gift, that faithful servant Blue Bottle is sitting in Scott's garage with the engine idling, just waiting to be sent out here in January to our warm water and powder blue barrels. Two of my sons are flying out to the Bay Area on 12/26 for nine days of surfing Santa Cruz behemoths with their uncle. They're taking along my board bag. An uncle in SF, retired American Airlines pilot, can then bag it and air-freight it back here for about $12. I'll start sending you reports. Hope you don't mind if I put a big blue flex fin on there and vastly expand its capabilities, ha-ha.

Take care...