Kneeboarding is definitely not on its way out.

Post'em here...

Moderator: Moderator

cali_chick
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Kneeboarding is definitely not on its way out.

Post by cali_chick »

I was not perfectly sure where to post this, either here or a thread speaking about the 'dying art of kneeboarding'. I chose here because this is where it began for me.

Kneeboarding is growing at a steady rate, even if we can't quite see it yet and it is thanks to all you guys and all the sites like this.

My dad was a surfer and growing up I surfed in Cali, Vene, the Caribbean, Europe especially Italy, India, across the US and Canada. As I got older I picked a high paced career that cut down my time on the water. As everyone here would know, it leaves a void when you don’t get time on your own or just on your board, something was missing.

I had everything career-wise I had wanted since I was 12 but I wasn’t that happy. Even if I was not participating I’m always drawn to the water and I get myself lost strolling down to the local beaches and secret spots to see what the surf was like. There would almost always be a group or an individual kneeboarding. It was never a lot back when I was a kid but as I got older the numbers increased, or at least they knew what I was talking about when I ragged on the local guys going ‘Yeah impressive… but can you kneeboard?”. :)

Recently I’ve taken a step back from my career because of the sudden passing of my father and brother. I practice medicine and the way they passed was just a heavy blow to me in many different ways on varying levels. It made me question a lot of things and I took a leave of absence from work. Despite the fact that I didn’t surf more than a couple hours every fortnight when I could get away, my father left me his board collection (to the utmost envy of my 5 brothers :twisted: .) He said he wanted me back in the water.

Honestly, for personal reasons I did not want to surf seriously again but there was still that void and since their passing it only grew. For the first time in 10 years I had the time and the means to surf regularly but there was still some sadness attached to it.

I was on a Vene beach not long ago when I saw a local kneeboarding and then I passed a group of kids that couldn’t be more than 11, asking ‘What the heck is he doing?’ So I stopped and I explained…they got so excited :D . Kids have an enthusiasm about them that is so infectious :wink: .

I showed them the basics and several minor injuries later I came home and found back this site that I had checked out once in a while in the past idly. It was a rush, the pictures, the videos, the stories, the humour and the obvious concentration of passion. I saw pictures that blew my mind… but the short stories cinched the deal for me. Jon Manns made me think back and smile, eqKneelo made me simultaneously grin and tear up, MWROBERTSON made me remember amazing days. There were tons of great stories and pics here that somehow made it impossible for me to stay out of the water or unregistered on this site.

Kneeboarding is growing because you guys and all other kneelos around the world have this undying passion that you pass on whether you realise it or not. Just by doing what you do everyday ( rip or wipe out :wink: ) and being observed for it, or by reaching out to the kids in your community and/or by forming/joining sites like this one. Once there's interest it will never die.

There will always be a kid with a boogie board standing up on the sand facing a firing surf and watching in awe, :shock: completely stoked as a Kneelo rips and opens his/her eyes to new possibilities in surfing (and/or more creative methods in how to damage themselves).

Thanks is pretty much what I am trying to say, especially to everyone that posted short stories, photos, memories, surf reports, advice, comic relief or just anecdotes that made this site what it is. A special kudos also to the creaters/maintainers of the site.

On a side note, I do agree with previous posters that while this site and others like it have a great impact, it has to be about more interaction to get the KB community to grow even more. Since my re-entry I have been reaching out on an individual level... but I’d like to do more. I don't want it just to survive the ages...I want kneeboarding to thrive and Dominate.

God Bless,

Alexis.
Last edited by cali_chick on Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
~a simple girl with simple passions; hand me my board, get out of my way.~
KevinJFina
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by KevinJFina »

cali_chick,
So happy that you have seen the light. More positive energy in the water is definitely the best energy that begets more positive energy! keep on rippin!
Props to ya
peace,
Kevin
surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

Alexis -

Thank you for your heart felt letter. And my deepest regards for the loss of your father and your brother. My younger brother died two years ago and it was, to say the least, a life changing moment for me. And 13 days later my daughter had her wedding.....which I walked through like a zombie.

For the past two years I haven't had the best attitude and I've been hard pressed to keep a positive attitude. I wasn't even surfing that much - something that I had done all my life and was one of my primary refuges.
But things change, I'm back in the H2O more often and life is bit sunnier (my first grandson was born 10/16/06 so how bad can things be?!).

Glad to have you onboard with this bizarre little community of KBers. Its always a fun break in my day to pop onto this site and forget about the work-a-day world. Much cheaper than therapy.

Best,

Dan
kbing since plywood days
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Nice Lexi, you forgot to mention that the conversations went more like this...

Surfer
Can I buy you a drink?

Lexi
No thanks but nice moves out there

Surfer
Thanks, can I buy you a drink, I have even more impressive moves

Lexi
Sure, if you can do THAT. (pointing at 10 yr old kid she just taught to kneeboard)

Surfer

Lexi
Thought so. We'll try again tomorrow

Tell me I'm lying, go on I dare ya :D :twisted:

Jokes aside- sweet post.
Last edited by Hunter on Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
H.N. D'abreau
Kauaikneelo

Paris?????

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Attention MIKE!!!!!!

I think Lexis is really Paris. :shock: :shock:
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
cali_chick

Post by cali_chick »

Thank you all for the great reply posts and messages I received today concerning this post.

Kevin- you couldn't be more right

Surfhorn- thank you for your condolences and I am so sorry for your own loss. All my love to your first grandson, first of many I hope :) . I agree this is such a great site, it makes me smile everytime I sign on.

Hunt- I will give you back your board and some of your dignity if you stop bussing my files in public... :!: Love to you and Hailey.

Kauaikneelo - :shock: you couldnt be more wrong... but thanks for the laugh :wink:

Thanks again,

God Bless,

Alexis
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

deal.

No, I have no shame.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Hunter on Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
H.N. D'abreau
cali_chick

Post by cali_chick »

may have had it altered a bit...

Hope you like 'aqua-pink' :twisted: ...and puppies!

(Kidding- it's pristine)