woken up by a shark(someone screaming HELP!)

Post'em here...

Moderator: Moderator

jamie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

woken up by a shark(someone screaming HELP!)

Post by jamie »

My story is a little fresh.
Its Sunday afternoon and today has been a way outside the norm.
At about 6.30am this morning the missus told me to get out of bed because someone had been mauled by a shark and was screaming for help.
Now we live in dreamland(the property backs onto the start of a rocky point) so if someone is close to the rocks and starts screaming then we can hear them.
My first response to the missus was to tell her to get real, but she is pretty insistent when agitated and she ripped the covers off and threw me some shorts and a couple of fresh towels( to stem the blood flow) and said "No really! A young kids trying to drag himself up the beach. Get down and help him!"
So i wiped the sleep out my eyes, pulled on the shorts and bolted as fast as my creaky legs could carry me across the rocks. By the time i got to the kid, there about three others, his dad had been surfing with him and he had a make shift torniquet(leg rope) around the young blokes upper thigh and someones shirt was wrapped around his mid thigh.
My guts were churning as I looked at his exposed upper shin bone and another gash just above his ankle.
I am not sure what i actually did, but can remember tightening the towels around the shin area which was an ugly hole but not bleeding to profusely.
The clubbies arrived soon after in there little 4 wheeler and they had an oxygen therapy set up rigged up pretty quick, the dad who is also a clubby was pretty calm and was getting people to help where needed. The ambos took maybe 10 minutes to get there, but it seemed like it took for ever, pretty much stood around gawking and having a chat with the neighbours after that.
It turned into a circus soon after with TV trucks, TV helicopters, and rescue helicopters arriving.
I felt lie a bit of a goul retrieving my now bloody towels which the ambos discared once they had some dressings in place, spent some time washing the blood and gore off before the towels before the blood set and then went let the missus know that the guy looked like he would survive and keep his leg.
Pretty lucky considering its the third attack in the Sydney area in the last few weeks, and one of the others lost a few limbs.

Not suprisingly noone really paddled out for the rest of the morning and the beach has been almost deserted all day, bar the little clubbies(nippers) running around for a while this morning. It all seems a bit surreal now, and will be an interesting next few days as I look to get out for a wave some time soon.
Jamie
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

thats enough to scare the pants off ya jamie, i heard it was at your joint.....good on ya bronwyn for giving you the whip

well done mate
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
DYdamo

Post by DYdamo »

Nah....
would've chucked him a band-aid

and gone back to bed

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good on ya mate.............
RMcKnee
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by RMcKnee »

Last edited by RMcKnee on Thu May 28, 2009 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Thanks for posting, and good job! If you click on the story, then click on the "how to avoid a shark attack," it takes you to a gallery that has some photo's, the first pic is Paris Hilton with the advice "Always swim with other people ... particularly those considered tastier than you." :lol: :lol: :lol: How do I find this stuff? Hilarious! :lol:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
MALLEE BULL

Post by MALLEE BULL »

AND A BIT MORE MEAT ON THEM HELPS TO :shock:
LOVE FIXING UP OLD BOARDS
AND STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
K-man

Post by K-man »

Good bit of work!Good to hear the lads OK.And, he's got bragging rights...
jamie

Post by jamie »

Young guy has been doing ok, had been happy on the morphine and the fact that chick dig scars, but apparently is feeling the pain as they ween him off the good stuff.

He has a ways to go and no word on when he will be out of hospital.

Surf has been pretty small since, and have just been hitting the shorey with my kids, who will not stay out of the water :shock:
Jamie