Post'em here...

Moderator: Moderator

tahiti_nui
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Surfer "Rides" Great White

Post by tahiti_nui »

Surfer/Great White can't be a good combo on any menu,
but ya gotta love the way the media has taken this fellows 'story' and ran with it.

One of my favorite accounts ...
http://www.nationalledger.com/lifestyle ... 3048.shtml
even has animated reenactment since no was handy with their GoPro's.

Now I'm not sure about this one, but growing up i had always heard there was an urban legend of a Kneelo Cove founder who rode a 'large water beast' in the late 70's during a full moon pier session.

Mushroom's, homebrew, tabets, or up on smoke, the story has always haunted me.
skansand
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by skansand »

:shock: Rode the pier last night and it was pumping! Foggy and lots of fisherman chumming the water..... definetly freaking myself out..

Dale Solomonson said he was bumped during a night session once in Oregon! on a mat or maybe finless kneeboard?
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
KenM

Post by KenM »

Err, yeah, uh, I believe him but I guess he left out the part about being saved by dolphins and taken up into a ufo.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by austo »

A friend of my mothers was taken at Cottosloe beach last week on his morning swim, and the amount of recent sightings and beach closures that are happening in the South West Oz at the moment is ridiculous, a protected species they are, but really should they be ??
Kneelos do it deeper
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Believe it or not. In 45 years of surfing, 33 on the Oregon coast, I had never seen a shark. Until yesterday. Myself and 4 others surfing head high perfect peaks at the Columbia River jetty. We were all in a 30 yard radius of each other. Offshore winds, sunny, 57 degree water ( warm for here ) Great White, we estimated to be 12 to 15 ft. surfaced and bumped into a young guy named Joey who was sitting, waiting for a wave. The shark kinda thrashed a bit and disappeared. We all headed for shore, post haste. Even though the waves remained perfect, no one paddled back out. I surfed there this morning but saw no shark. Joey didn't surf today. Maybe due to soiled wetsuit.
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
Scott

Post by Scott »

"...surfaced and bumped into a young guy..."
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
skeg
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by skeg »

Shark repellent spray...

youtube.com/watch?v=k_B_n-Rbros

...which Batman can also be seen to use if you do a YouTube vid search for Batman - Surfing.
Last edited by skeg on Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
skeg

Post by skeg »

http://www.editinternational.com/read.p ... 31921511dc
~ w. shark hunter, Vic Hislop

“Dolphins, sea turtles and millions of creatures out there that we love need our protection. But Great White Sharks need no protection. They are at the top of the food chain. They can live to be one hundred years old and eat a few dolphins and sea turtles every week. “If a conservationist killed just one Great White Shark and then retired, he would do more good for dolphins and sea turtles than he could have done in his entire career.”

...and...

“It’s true big sharks have only one vulnerable spot – their eye. But they have a big thick nictitating membrane that covers it. Call it a third eyelid. That membrane is tougher than their skin and a person could not even stick a knife in it.”

So how is it determined that some and which shark species are endangered and misunderstood, if at all?
K-man

Post by K-man »

Spent over 15 yrs as a volunteer on the S.E. farallones white shark research program.Shark season ran from sept thru.nov.Marine mammals(E-seals-ca.sealions-stellars sealions-northern fur seals)E-seals having the most fat content and being slower swimmers were generally the most common prey.The average number of attacks for the season 90 days)was one per day.Some days there were none.some days as many as five.This means what?Those 90 critters will not reproduce.
Marine mammal populations have exploded in the last 30 yrs,and are at historical levels.Availibity of breeding sites are becoming scarce(this area)White shark populations have increased in direct response to the availability of these....delicious twinkies... :lol:
So....sharks control the mammal populations.If shark populations were supressed, in some way diminished,the increased mammal numbers become a burden on the already stressed fish stocks and other ocean resources...

cheers...Have you hugged a white shark lately?
skansand

Post by skansand »

There is an old saying for anyone that spends a lot of time in the water.
You might go your whole life and never see a GWS, but rest assured, you will have been seen by a GWS.
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

In the last 4 years we've seen two attacks at Marina. State Beach....we now call the sand bar "Snackbar"...
"Dunes Local"