50+

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

ROCKTJOK
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Re: 50+

Post by ROCKTJOK »

4 knee surgeries and now no ACL in my left knee, one crushed shoulder now filled with metal, bicep tendon rupture and reattachment, 2 tendons in my foot severed by a knife.....all over the span of 58 years. Still in the water. Hot yoga, weights and mountain bike. Yoga is the key. It really helps with stamina and avoiding injury due to sudden movements of the extremities.
Cocoa Bch Fla
quadfin
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by quadfin »

Well over the 60+ range and have been working on my conditioning program (with the help of a few professional friends) for well over a year now. Wasn't where I wanted to be the the World Titles in Australia but it gave me a marker as to where I was and where I needed to be to be happy surfing and pain free.

-Mckenzie Method. Mckenzie was a physical therapist from New Zealand who developed a self help exercise program for patients that is designed to reverse the damage from our sedentary habits and poor posture. Simple exercises (books are around $5 online) that can be done anywhere and anytime. There are Mckenzie Institutes around the world where you can get an analysis of issues and corrective exercises.

-Resistance. I played baseball for one of the best high school coaches in the country (Chuck Knoblauch's Dad) and we would be thrown off the team if we were caught using weights. We did nothing but resistance training and he attributed our success to our conditioning, flexibility, and lack of injuries. Anytime I stray to weights I get hurt...everytime.

-Military Style. The Military has the best training in the world, specific to a task. Physical training is sometimes done in small spaces with what is available. I had to lead a police academy class in PT at 60 years old. Circuit training and short bursts of activity to maximum heart rate and then rest and heart rate stabilization. Did well until I tried to outrun 20 year old kids on a bad surface and tore my Achilles tendon. Surgery and blood clots later, it was time for a change.

-Do it in the water- My Dad exercised in a pool until he was 98, and only stopped because the YMCA would not let him in anymore. I now do all of the above in a pool, bay, or surf almost daily. 29 pounds down and still heading south, I don't stop moving for an hour of intense water exercises everyday. Heading towards my BMI goal before leveling off. I keep adding resistance but never exceed my maximum heart-rate. No sore joints or pulled muscles, it works for me, it could work for you.
Surf Hard Live Slow
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Quadfin, good stuff!! Stoked that you found a great routine, and that's it's working so well.