Got Surfer's Ear?

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

SFKneelo

Got Surfer's Ear?

Post by SFKneelo »

The good times are catching up with me... :roll:

My left ear is closed, and needs to be drilled. Has anyone
been drilled? Any recommendations?

If you're reading this, I highly recommend checking out
the Surfermag.com Health Forum. Pull up 'All Posts,' as
the best topic is a bit dated. There is some darn good
preventative advice there.

I don't like wearing hoods, nor wearing Doc's ProPlugs...
but I have a feeling that I'm not going to like the alternative!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
MWROBERTSON
Legend (Contribution King!)

Ear Drilling

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Bob-

My brother had the operation some time in late Oct/November. He was out of the water for 4-6 weeks. He said it wasn't that painful overall during and after the operation. The only bummer was that many pillows were ruined in the healing process. I guess a lot of god-awful crap and blood comes out of the ear canal on occassion. :shock: I can get more info for you if needed.
Ler

Post by Ler »

I've been drilled, in my right ear and the left one is next. 6-8 weeks healing time sucks. I did hear of some Doctors using a chisel instead with only a
2-3 week healing time, my friend had both ears chiseled at one time, after
his 3rd week he was back in the water, with brand new ears. No clogging
and easy draining. Good luck!

p.s. Dr. Money in San Diego, uses the chisel. Maybe he gots a bro up north
Last edited by Ler on Fri May 23, 2003 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DavidW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by DavidW »

Bob, Chris Beresford has been drilled as well. Check with Jack to get his info.
Don't worry you have summer flatness and a new bady to keep you out of the water for the next few months any way.
Regards to family,
Wino
Don
Admin

This could be the most popular subject!

Post by Don »

Bob,

I remember talking to Tom Linn a month or so ago who I think had been operated twice in one ear and once on the other...

From what I remember the least painful was when they cut the ear off except for a flap and had full access to the ear canal.

I'd say this would be your best option as you could probably slip the doc a few green backs and get him to tighten up that double chin and take care of a few other signs of aging :mrgreen:

Please schedule this operation quickly as it will prohibit you from entering the July contest... as a matter of fact see if you can get Jack to sign up for this operation with you... perhaps they offer 2-fers. Hell, I should see if we can get a ksusa.org membership discount and offer it to the entire lot of us!
Don Harris
Paul
Local (More than 25 post)

James Bond....The surgeon.

Post by Paul »

I heard, a couple years back, about a group of docs down in socal using lasers to do the surgery. Everyone thought it made sense at the time, as it would cauterize the wound, and was suposed to cut the healing and rate of infection in half. Unfortunately, I can't recommend anyone by name, but you might want to look into it. As a nurse, it sounds to me like the prefered way to go. Myself? I'm going to stay in denial until I can't hear the waves breaking any more. I can't stand the feeling of having both ears covered by seashells, whenever it wear plugs or a hood.
For those that are on the verge of going under the knife, more than one ER doc/surfer has told me that a couple of recent journal articles have stated that if you wear BOTH plugs and a hood, keeping that canal nice and toasty in the water, some surfers have reabsorbed some of the bone mass, shinking the surfers ear slightly. Who knows if it it will work for you, but considering the alternative, it might be worth a try!...Paul.
SFKneelo

Thanks!

Post by SFKneelo »

Thanks for all the good input. I am in good company!

I'll check out Dr. Money (what a name!!!)

My ENT told me the recovery time from Laser wasn't any different than
the traditional method. However, it seems like all your experience has
been in the 4-6 week recovery zone, not 4 week... maybe it's the last
two weeks that make the difference.

Very funny, Don. FYI... my wife has been studying the brain zones and
renting 'The Stepford Wives.' She keeps muttering something
about 'compliance...' Should I be worried? Tell you what... I'm getting
tired of receiving a whack on the head, followed by a quick 'Did your
knee move?'

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
Ler

Post by Ler »

Thats what I said about Dr. Moneys name, I asked if his first name was
Cash. I thought that would be epic.
HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT

BLOCKED EAR ??

Post by HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT »

I'M GETTING THE SAME PROBLEM ALSO !!
THE ONLY GOOD THING IS THAT I HAVE A REASON FOR NOT LISTENING TO MY WIFE """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

GOOD LUCK !!! GET A SECOND OPINION, LAZERS ARE HERE.
DrStrange

?

Post by DrStrange »

WHAT?!?!!? SPEAK UP DAMNIT!!!! STOP MUMBLING!!!!

I said, "a doc told a guy I just met that after age 35 bone growth or reactivity or something slows and so your hole problem will progress much more slowly. And if you don't have one yet (a problem, not a hole) then you may be less likely to ever get one." Perty cool, eh?

Old age and skill, beats yourth and muscle every time. Well most of the time. Well, sometimes.
IronMonkeyone

Aiyeeee my ears!!!!!

Post by IronMonkeyone »

41 years of surfing and my ears are so jacked. Right now a funky bloody ooze in my left ear. Fecal counts been high in the water lately. Is there a really good ENT in San Diego? I have a really pronounced case of exostosis and a couple of years ago, Doctor Cyrus Torchinsky(he surfs too) told me the operation with my ears hacked off is imminent. I have heard chipping through the canal can potentially cut into nerves for your face. I was advised that the hideous ear flap method opens it up for a better job from the doctor.
Regardless. I feel like crap right now with an increasingly infected ear. I almost religiously wear ear plugs too, but with 95% closure, the tiniest droplet of water closes me up always. And that droplet sneaks in though my ear plugs daily.

Any stellar doctors in SD for this?

Thanks much, Joey Goodman
I am part monkey and part fish. Opposable thumbs and great set of gills and flippers.
weirdo

Post by weirdo »

Landing on a plane a few months ago I got bad pain in my left ear as air couldnt get out. Since been told I have Glue ear. anyone else had this?
Being treated with mild steroids and sinus sprays...seems to be working slowly.
K-man

Post by K-man »

Been surfing since 63...Mid 80's began having major ear infections due to surfers ear.Local surfing doc Advised not having the operation as they''ll grow back.He was right,anyone having the operation are now right back where they were a few yrs ago.. :roll:
I've been wearing ear plugs and a hood on and off for the past 20+yrs.Every few yrs I'd go to the doc and have the buggers vacuumed.He has these different sized ''straws'bend it around the bumps and suck out all the bad juju.We have heaps of cold water and cold winds...Haven't had a problem.Not all ears are created equal.Maybe I was luckyier than some. For your viewing pleasure...The vid

http://www.proplugs.com/surfing.shtml
Scott

Post by Scott »

Wow...this thread has been a real ear-opener for me. I had no idea so many of you are suffering from all these ear issues. I've never had any problems whatsoever, but should I be concerned and taking certain precautions?
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
KenM

Post by KenM »

What?
Captain Kneemo fan club