Got Surfer's Ear?

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

MikeS
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by MikeS »

Unfortunately,you can say "I'm an expert on this isssue"...8 surgeries later. four on each ear. I've was once told that once done,the growth comes back twice as quickly.(Should have prolonged that first operation)...So I urge anyone who's thinking of having the surgery performed,they wait as long as possible. My first surgery was performed in the early eighties.
Fortunately, here in the Santa Cruz area ,we have Dr. Hetzler. Unlike the traditional drilling, he goes in and removes the boney growth by chieseling. It's less invasive and the less time recuperating. I highly suggest Dr. Hetzler method.
"Dunes Local"
Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

move to the tropics.....worked for me 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Jerry
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Jerry »

[quote="Smokin Rock"]move to the tropics.....worked for me 8)[/quote] Ha :!: Just what the doctor ordered. Really, after my ear surgery my ear doctor ( The great Dr. Wesley Lewis, who makes his living operating on Oregon surfers ears ) told me just that. So just two more years of plugs in ( Aqua-Nots ) and hood up :evil: Then I can start worrying about sunburn 8)
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

hey Jerry,
i was ready to have the operation back in like, 1985. my doc told me both ears 99% occluded. the left would shut down completely after every swell.
he also told of some stories of the damn things growing back faster than ever after the operation and that if cold can cause the problem then warm would stabilize and slowly reverse the process. i was 22 and was chomping at the bit to surf monster tubes so that was all i needed to say ALOHA to So. Cal. and hello North Shore of Oahu.
after 25 years here in the islands the right ear is now 96-97% and the left 97-98% occluded. doesn't sound like much but i hear fine and only rarely does the left shut off. the warmth definitely works and ive never gone under the knife. 8)
i've obviously made some huge sacrifices for my hearing. :lol:
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Jerry wrote:
Smokin Rock wrote:move to the tropics.....worked for me 8)
Ha :!: Just what the doctor ordered. Really, after my ear surgery my ear doctor ( The great Dr. Wesley Lewis, who makes his living operating on Oregon surfers ears ) told me just that. So just two more years of plugs in ( Aqua-Nots ) and hood up :evil: Then I can start worrying about sunburn 8)
Is that covered by obama care? :cry:
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Obama care :!: ...........are you shovel ready :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Smokin Rock wrote:Obama care :!: ...........are you shovel ready :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh yeah.....its gettin deeeep. :lol: up to my surfers ear! (to bring us back on topic!)
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
rooster

Post by rooster »

Ah, humor. You two so funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never trade luck for skill.