dry land trainer

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

DrStrange
Legend (Contribution King!)

dry land trainer

Post by DrStrange »

Not that long until the Spring doldrums so...first look here

http://www.indoboard.com/ and here

http://www.fitter1.com/wobble-board-16.html

That's where the idea came from. Then:

I got on floor in KB position and measured distance from tips of toes to just in front of knees. Cut square of plywood that size. Attached pillar to bottom in center w/ some "L" brackets and made round on end (first one was 2 pieces, 3 inch tall, of 2X4 nailed together and rounded on grinder. Second one I got one of those Bott's Dots that are the bumps on hwy lines and epoxyed that on the end. Camp pad on top. total cost less than $10.

1) Kneel on it and try to stay balanced w/out any edges touching floor.

2) If that's not hard enough then slowly and with control touch various edges of board to floor--front, back, right side, left side, front right corner, left rear corner, etc. or hold a couple light hand weights and slowly swing them around in various motions

Heavy work out of balance organs, core muscles and turning power with control.
strudle
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

interesting.

Post by strudle »

Pretty cool. Can you post a pic of you DIY one?
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Will see what I can do. No camera but my neigbhor returns tomorrow from....Antartica!!! Don't ask me why they went. But they have one and mayhap I can get them to do the honors.

It is a great toy. From using it I can tell that there are some muscles that don't really get used any other way than cranking a KB. Don't notice much riding as there is lots else going on and if those muscles aren't up to snuff I blow the turn, dig a rail etc and don't know why or else compensate in some clumsy way with other muscles sort of off balance and jerky. If you surf very frequently and ride a lot of waves those muscles get built up. If you are relatively knew to knee kboarding or don't get out very often (twice guilty) I think this will help a lot. Soon as my "real life" gets cleared up a bit and I can hit the water, I'll post a follow up. Maybe pictures sooner...
red

Post by red »

Been doing similar stuff using a Swiss ball (those big tough beach ball things)
Just kneel and go. 5 minutes of kneeling and controlled turning leads to tired muscles
albert

Post by albert »

swiss ball?

how big is it?
sounds interesting

is it the same as one of those excercise balls that are about 0.5m in diameter?
stu
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by stu »

Hi Guys
Just been doing some work on a similer project take the backend of your favorite board just in front of your knees and just past your toes shape it out of some 3/4 ply cut a hole somewhere in between your knee's around 5-6 inches in diamiter and get a good basket ball make sure it is fully inflated put in the hole put some neoprene on the deck and balance away in front of the tele with one of Simons vids on.
mega quick, cheap, kneeboard trainer for flat days and guys like me who cant get in the water that often.
Just dont get caught by the nieghbours otherwise it could be embarrassing.
best off luck
Stu.
Best bit rediscovering my Knee's
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Like Red says... swiss ball.

There's a program that a friend bought called surffitness. I think www.surffitness.com.

Anyhow, it's a core strengthening routine with medicine ball, swiss ball and elastic band, as well as yoga-like stuff.

It's a decent program. Balancing on your knees on the swiss ball is fairly similar. Some of the routines show guys drop-kneeing, etc. I'll stick to my knees. No sense hurting body or pride at the company gym...
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Only down side to the Swiss ball ( I have one) is its a long ways to the floor in case of :oops: ! The basketball/soccer ball thru the plywood is a good easy option. Seen one of those for sale somewhere in cyberspace but much cheaper to cut your own. Once you get the balance down a bit, controlled tipping in various directions really works some muscles!
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Maybe your friend went to Antarctica for his summer vacation......
kbing since plywood days