BAD KNEES

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Ler
Legend (Contribution King!)

BAD KNEES

Post by Ler »

Lately my right knee feels like its out of socket, some pain, alot of clicky noises. Has any one had a Cortizone Shot to the knee and where do you go for something like that.

Ler
Jeff Ommen
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Jeff Ommen »

:? Mike,

Sounds like a torn meniscus to me. If you have a family doc that can write you an RX for an MRI I would be happy to scan your knee (on-the-house) at my office in Escondido.

Jeff
TIMO

Post by TIMO »

Hi Jeff
As I have a similar problem, could you please expand on your last thread.
What happens if left untreated overtime and what would the likely treatment be?
I understand that everyone’s different but would appreciate some background on this as I will have to get serious about this problem soon as my right knee blows up regularly and feels like its about to come apart.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
cheers Timo
john -

Post by john - »

perhaps you do not want to hear this but "grin and bear it!" lads until you are too old to surf and then worry

ive got "fooballers knees", "sahibs knees" (himalayan term from sherpas for westerners who trek alot and suffer in the knees) and a great story about dislocating my knee whislt trying to sweep a leg spinner (cricket story) to backward square leg - in short my knees are stuffed

ive noted this is in part why i surf more foward on boards - more upper body torque - as in the parkes style

good luck Ler and TIMO - and soak them in cold ocean water over winters
merely labled
DarcyM

bad knees

Post by DarcyM »

Hi guys -

I've had bad knees for several years, not from kneeboarding but from a couple of crazy crashes downhill skiing about 10 years ago. Not bad enough to have surgery (my HMO would never approve it) or any injections, but bad enough to have caused me pain (periodically even now) sometimes severe and the odd miss-step causing me to fall down now and then.

General wobbliness is pretty easily treated -- build up your support muscles to compensate for the lack of support in the knee. Quads and hamstrings, and keep things lubricated and flexible by moving around as much as possible.

The initial tear (and subsequent reinjuries) are tremendously painful and slow to heal. Slow as in years. And it never heals completely. Once the lateral ligaments are torn, they'll not grow back. If the knee is swelling, the only thing to do is stay off of it, ice and heat as needed, and anti-inflammatory meds like Tylenol or Advil. I can't play basketball or softball anymore -- too much lateral pressure, unless I wear a pretty heavy duty brace. Other activities -- volleyball, kneeboarding, cycling -- I'm good at. Cycling in fact is really good for rehab-ing knees. So are low impact and water exercises. Still have trouble with stairs now and again, though, particularly down.

The pain will always be there tho. Sorry to say. :(
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
TIMO

Post by TIMO »

dorje wrote:perhaps you do not want to hear this but "grin and bear it!" lads until you are too old to surf and then worry
Thanks dorje
I've got the bottle of gin , a hot bath and a razorblade ready for when that time comes :D
There's good banks up here at the moment, hope they hold out until you get up here. :lol:
cheers Timo
Shelfbreak
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Shelfbreak »

Developed a minor niggle in one knee playing social volleyball of all things. It was one of those ones that settle down after a few days and flare up each time you play. That was until I was nearly driven knees first through my board at a rather punishing reefbreak. Hasn't troubled me since.
Shelfbreak
waka

bad knees

Post by waka »

yeh ,
i think we have all had bad knees some time thru our lives.
I had to have cartilage remove in my right knee when i was about 20.
the sucker use to click and lock up on me (i am a concretor, so i'm bending up and down all day).
pretty painful sitting on the jobsite , trying to coax my knee joint back in.
but to this day , it hangs in there----JUST.
My wife has had both knees recontructed thru sports injuries.
Poor bugger played netball from a kid, basketball, and tennis.
It got to a stage she couldnt walk up stairs, and had to permantly wrap both knees to enjoy any form of walking.
Dr Merv Cross did both knee ops, ( he was Tom Carroll, Mick Lowe, etc surgeon), and it has changed her life round.
She can RUN and play tennis again
My youngest son curtis, had problems from about 14, going thru a growth spurt, with his knee dislocating.
he started taking calcium tablets on advice from our naturpath, and it seemed to help.
We all have been taking GLUCOSAMINE
it helps reduce joint inflammation and swelling, increase joint mobility and provide temporary relief of the pain of osteoarthritis (well thats what it saids on the label)
you can buy from chemists and health food shops.
As Darcy said , building up the supporting muscles is the go,
So once the swelling goes down, get into the walking and physio.
Hit the pool, i used to put on a pair of flippers and kick .
good luck
waka
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Hi Ler,

I'm no Doctor, but I can give you one good bit of advice...

DO NOT GET A CORTISONE SHOT.

Yes, it feels wonderful after it takes effect, but it is only masking the pain---it does not aid in the healing process. I once made the mistake of getting the shot. I continued about my business as usual, only to find out later that I'd really f#@*!d it up worse.

Darcy is right on with the advice of taking anti-inflammatory medicine. Get on it, and let Jeff give you that MRI. You'll be happier in the long run.

Cheers 8)
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

One tip on anti-inflamm meds: NSAIDS (like Advil etc) actually over time accelerate joint degeneration/arthritis as well as doing some not so nice things to your gut and liver. Alternatives with only beneficial side effects--anti-inflammatory herbs like Zyflamend (from New Chapter) one of the best; proteolytic enzymes (must take on empty stomach) esp bromaline and papain. Take lots, frequently at first. The enzymes actually will breakdown and remove damaged tissue and speed healing. Won't fix torn cartilage (if that's the problem) but will knock down inflammation and reduce pain without masking what's really going on. Can get you to better function quicker.
red

Post by red »

DrStrange

Went looking for proteolytic enzymes and met with a blank look. Are these also known as pancreatic enzymes?
Are the bromaline (pineapple base) and papain (papaya based) enzymes co- formulated or sold separately?
If you can post info on brand names and dosages it will make it easier for me to find Australian equivalents. I'd love to get pain free (or even pain reduced) without going under the knife

Thanks
WillP

Post by WillP »

Ler,

My right knee has been clicking for years. I hurt it over the years playing soccer. The clicking seems to come and go and I've always wondered what exactly that was. Hopefully it doesn't end up super painful when I get older.
ross

Post by ross »

to take an uneducated guess willi i reckon youve got slight tears in your cartilige which is then folding over.
sometimes there is pressure created by these folds. which is aleviated by moving the joint till you get the "click"(which is the fold flattening out)
i get the same thing and i'm only 30(kneeboarding 18yrs)
i dont get pain from it.just the wierd noise.
this theory is based on a physio assesment
ross
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Wobenzyme from Germany are pancreatic. Repair (by Enzymedica) from USA (Florida) are plant derived. Both have bormalin and papain mixed in . Can get last two individually. Health food stores, naturopaths, chirpractors likely sources.

Also, alignment and mechanics of your legs are key. Ler's clicking coming and going may be due to slight variations in alignment from muscle tension and how used. Careful, well guided Pilates or yoga may help a lot.