Eyes and Yoga

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

waltmayo
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Eyes and Yoga

Post by waltmayo »

As a therapeutic optometrist and a yoga teacher I'd be happy to answer any questions that come up pertaining to these two issues. Lasik, contact lenses, CRT, injury prevention, etc....

Walt
Walt Mayo
South Carolina's Only Kneeboarder
(as far as I know... :-) )

Post by Guest »

Hi Walt,
I'm currently undergoing CRT. It is amazing. After wearing contacts for the last 20 years I'm finally able to open my eyes underwater without worrying about loosing a lense.
Been using CRT now for three weeks and my vision is 20/24!!!
waltmayo

CRT

Post by waltmayo »

CRT is a great new technology... wear rigid contacts at night... take 'em out in the morning and see all day without glasses or contacts. It's particularly good for teens who are not yet old enough for lasik.

Walt
Walt Mayo
gogglefog
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

glaucoma

Post by gogglefog »

in my job i'm required to have a flight physical every two years (i'm a flight mechanic in the coast guard). this year as the medics blew air into my eyes they said the pressure is too high in my eyeballs. they sent me to an optometrist and he did other testing and explained that ocular pressure is not the tell tale sign of glaucoma but only one of five symptoms that together put the whole picture (no pun intended) together. should i see another optometrist and get another opinion?
waltmayo

Glaucoma

Post by waltmayo »

You probably don't need to if you felt comfortable with the second doctor. The "air puff" machines are really not very accurate. If you have any doubts, though, another opinion never hurts.

The biggest thing is you want to make sure to have a visual field test if the second doctor didn't do it.

Walt
Walt Mayo
waltmayo

69 mm

Post by waltmayo »

Hey! Love to see another eyedoc here! Hmmm... I always thought their average PD was about 59... makes it easier to line up down those tight little barrels here on the East Coast!!
Walt Mayo
waltmayo

Post by waltmayo »

> My wife is yoga mad.
> But I can't even touch my toes.
> She wants me to play yoga with her at the yoga class.
> But I don't want people laughing at me.
> She says it will help my surfing. She says to ask you what yoga moves > I can practice in the privacy of my own wardrobe so I can be an
> excellent surfer like I want to be.

First of all, you have a smart wife. Second, almost no one who attends their first yoga class can touch their toes. She wants you to "play yog"? You should say yes! Ask her about tantric yoga (ooooooh). People will not laugh at you. While you may not be flexible, there is a good chance you will be stronger that many of them. Yoga involves both aspects. Yoga WILL help your surfing. There are now two yoga DVDs just for surfers... featuring Taylor Know (very good stand up pro). Get one of the DVDs, or get Baron Baptiste's book Journey Into Power. You'll be amazed if you stick with it.

Walt
Walt Mayo
waltmayo

Re: Thankyou

Post by waltmayo »

headwax wrote:Thanks Doc Walt very mucho,

Only one question. Will it help me touch the back of my neck with the tip of my tongue?
No... but it might help you get _someone_ to touch the back of your neck with _their_ tongue. No promises...

:wink: Walt
Walt Mayo