sciatica/lower back troubles

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

GRAYMAN
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Re: sciatica/lower back troubles

Post by GRAYMAN »

jdkneelo wrote:had a lot of trouble with sciatica lower back problems over the last 5 years ,it has kept me out of the water for the last 5 weeks and the goldy has been pumping. have tried chiropractors ,physios,and yoga,any advise or ideas on exercises would be greatly appreciated wednesday avvo at d/bah was alltime thanks jdkneelo
I have the same trouble from time to time. Especially in the winter. 25mg Diclofenac 2hrs before a surf does the trick for me... Bruphen doesn't touch it.

If you try Diclofenac, YOU MUST EAT WHEN YOU TAKE THIS DRUG AS IT IS THE BIGGEST CAUSE OF GASTRIC BLEEDS IN THE UK.

Ultimately, I need to get an orthopedic matress.

Also, I got a circular email from SurfTwisted.com which said the following:

SurfTwisted.com wrote:stiff back ?!

Posted: 25 Mar 2009 06:03 AM PDT

It may be, that while surfing your brains out in the recent winter swells, you’ve developed a stiff back?

During the paddling movements of surfing, the back muscles, and spine, take a bit of a beating with the spine raised out of its normal alignment as the paddling movements take place.

There are many basic exercises that can improve your back strength and flexibility, these can often be done without the use of equipment and improve all round back strength.

Before undertaking any back exercises its wise to take things slowly, and if you have any underlining back problems consult a doctor, or equally qualified professional.

For basic improvements in back flexibility, these simple back stretches after your surf that will leave you lightly refreshed and possibly aid you in injury prevention.

1. Lower back flexion

Lie on the floor, drawing your knees up to your chest.

Grip your knees and pull them into your chest and upward towards your shoulder, creating a rocking position in your lower spine.

This movement stretches the Erector Spinae.

Points to remember:

The movement is one of pulling your knees towards your shoulders rather than pulling knees in towards your chest.

2.cat stretch-kneeling

kneeling on all fours , sit back on your ankles keeping your hands fixed.

Feel the stretch in the latissimus dorsi { muscles along the side of the back }

Points to remember;

This position should be held for 30-seconds to gain full benefit of the stretch on your spine

Lee Stanbury

Qualified Advanced PT

GP Referral consultant and Head Swimming Coach

Adviser to - surfers Oli Adams and Ben Skinner
Hope that helps ya mate.

G