Surfing after a Kidney Transplant ?

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Techno
Local (More than 25 post)

Surfing after a Kidney Transplant ?

Post by Techno »

I'm currently in the final stages of Renal Failure and will be soon on Dialasis and then go on the waiting list for a Kidney Transplant.
All this is going to take place within the next 6-12 months.
Does anyone know of someone who has had a Kidney Transplant that still surfs (Standup or Kneelo) ???
The Doctors have told me that when I receive a new kidney - they leave your old ones in place, make an incision in the front of your belly, put the new one in there and connect the plumbing!!!
Then starts the daily routine of anti-rejection drugs.
I've been told that contact sports are out of the question - but wonder where that leaves me as far as paddling or the occasional "Salt water full body massage" ???
(Lets face it - we all get the odd flogging now and then).
No matter what - I'll still be out there - even if it only means 15-20 minute sessions - or maybe I'll have to take up being a Water Photographer ???

Any help will be appreciated !!!

Thanx heaps !!!
HAVE SPARE KIDNEY - WILL TRAVEL FOR SURF !!!
Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
scoop

Post by scoop »

techno

good luck matee with your upcomming operation

i dont know of any others in your position

im 48 and pushing my limits (cause i dont do any other excersize)
but enjoying every moment

i hope you can do the same as im sure you will be able to

hoping we catch up on one of our fabulous east coast beaches in the future

tony
Techno

Kidney Transplant - Finally

Post by Techno »

Well my number finally came up.

Monday 14th May 10:00pm the phone rang - "We have a Kidney for you".
My world started to spin - I knew it was the moment I had been waiting for the last 2.5 years.
Now it was here and I was quietly Sh*tting myself.
To add to the equation - I was on my Dialysis Machine (At home) and had to get my needles out and to the hospital asap.

We arrived at the hospital at 10:45 and began the series of tests needed for the transplant to take place.
Admitted and tucked up safe in my bed in the ward - we were notified that I would be going under the knife at around 5-6am the following morning.
A sleepless night was had by both myself and my fiancee Leigh, both wanting it all to be over and safe at home in our own bed.

Thats when it all turned pear shaped - multiple trauma's arrived in the Emergency Department - so I was bumped up the list till 1:00pm.
That never happened - and I ended up going into theatre at 7:00pm and finished up back in the ward at 11:30pm.

Came out of it all really well and was up and walking at 6:00am the following morning (Not my choice may I add).
Was released 6 days later and now have to visit the hospital every day from 7:00am till 11:00am for the numerous blood tests and Urine tests that show how well my system is taking to the new kidney and to fix the levels of Anti-rejection drugs needed to keep me alive and the new kidney working.

Apart from the stomach full of staples (26 in total) and the usual bruised belly and other bits & peices - I'm doing really well.
Not too much pain - only when I cough or sneeze.

So the past week has been fairly full on - the only down side to it all is that I will be out of the water for the next 3 months.
But this is the price I have to pay to stay alive to enjoy the waves of this planet a little longer.

So it will be a countdown to the first time back in the water - and my nine year old son has set me a target date (His Birthday) to be back in the water. This will give me something to work for.

Anyway - just thought I'd let those of you who know me, that life in the Techno house is looking brighter.
And those that don't know me - take each day as it comes and enjoy every day you have in the water and with your family.

Look forward to seeing some of you in the water - now that I'm not connected to that Dialysis machine - We maybe able to travel a bit.
I will be off work for 4-6 months until fully recovered - and that will be done with water time too as well as treadmill and gym.

See ya' all in the water sometime people.

Tony "TECHNO" and Leigh my wonderful nurse.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Techno, congratulations!!

Hope all remains well in this post-transplant period for you. We have an active solid organ transplant program here at UCSD Med Center. As you know, strict adherence to your meds is vital. Be sure to ask questions of your Team if you're ever unsure of anything. Make sure you know the target drug levels they're shooting for and keep track of them yourself (if you're not already doing it); it makes it interesting. The 3 most important problems are rejection, infection, and adverse effects from your meds, but with the routine monitoring they'll be able to catch stuff. When they let you back in the water you ought to be just fine, all dialed in living a otherwise normal life (i.e. taking meds is as routine as packing up for the morning dawn patrol before work :D ).
Brad
twinfinfish

Best wishes ....

Post by twinfinfish »

Thanks for the post and hope you have a safe speedy recovery. Good luck with EVERYTHING ! Paul :D
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Excellent Techno! Hoping for a wonderful life for you. Like Beeline said, keep away from dirty water, and maybe adjust your surfing to smaller waves from now on, just to make sure the impacts aren't serious. :D
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
gene west

transplant

Post by gene west »

Techno....very happy for you hermano!!!!! Rarely does one get a second chance with the end in sight. Take it slow, stay on your meds, get your strength up...the waves will always be here....wishing you long life and good health brah!!!!!
geno
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

hi Techno

wishing you all the best. I'm sure things will sort themselves out!

cheers mate

yep see you in the water :!:

:)
joe

Post by joe »

Techno,
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. You are an inspiration to us all.

Joe
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Hey Techno,
great to hear the good news...hope all goes well. I hear you were at the last Coffs comp. that was the first one I ever entered... absolutely stoked with everything would have been doubly stoked to meet you there..oh well... I'll be at the next one in june this year if you make it down to that one.....just look for the wild bunch from the 'Gong and ask for Wolruss... I'd be very happy to meet you... but I do understand you have to be careful so if you don't make it down...good luck to you, you have a lot of people pulling for ya.

Cheers Wolruss
lowrider
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by lowrider »

Techno,
Hope you're out of the woods once and for-all now :D
Give us a yell if you're up Noosa way; there's a spot reserved in the line up for you :D
Techno

Post Kidney Transplant

Post by Techno »

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I've been a bit slack over the months - not enough hours in the day after the transplant.
Constant trips to the hospital etc make life a bit hectic, but not as hectic as life on Dialysis.
I returned to work (Full duties) as a Firefighter 4 months post transplant, walked into the station - threw my gear on the floor of the Duty Office and said: "Which Truck" ??? :shock:

Shocked the hell out of my station crew who expected me to return to light duties for a few months before normal duty's.

Its been about 15 months since the magic transplant day and I've managed about 2-3 sessions in the water - small 3-4ft only.
The transplanted kidney has been put in the front of my stomach - between by belly button and my hipbone.
So paddling is a bit awkward and painful, even this many months post transplant. :cry:

Medications are now at the minimal dosage and everything is going well, apart from a bout of food poisoning (From a shopping centre food court), that nearly killed off the transplant.
Ended up wit a nasty little bug called Camplybactor, that loves to kill off transplants. :x
Mad
Massive doses of I.V. anti-biotics, 3 days in hospital - and everything slowly fell back into place.
Seeing as I now have hardly any Immune system left (Thats how anti-rejection drugs work) I'm prone to every cough & cold known to man.
My son came home from his school camp and brought home a bad head - throat & chest bug that nailed me for 10 weeks - but I got over that about two weeks ago and are ready for the water again.
Trouble is - the East coast off Queensland is like a lake at the moment. :(

On the 15th March 2008, Leigh and I got married. She finally made a honest man out of me - or so she tells everyone. :D

Life is great and life is sort of back to normal - well as normal as it can get with a spare kidney on board and enough pills in you each morning & night to make you rattle.

Other than that - will be back in the water when it warms up and the swell increases a bit. 8)

Again - thanks to all for the words of support.

Tony "TECHNO"
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Techno,

I must've missed this thread over the years. Holy Cow, that is fantastic that you have endured such a Change-of-Life procedure and have returned in the fashion you have. I am in awe and you have my utmost respect. I figure you must have Balls the size of Coconuts. :lol:

Take good care of yourself and remember your priorities. Surfing is important, but good health is what's gonna get ya back in the water. No more food courts!!!

Cheers, and take it slow...you have a lifetime.

STONE aka "kidrock"
KEL

Post by KEL »

Hey Tony, 1st time I picked up on your posts and nearly wept myself to death!!!!! Seriously a great story and seemingly happy ending. I was at my daughters t-ball game and she was on second base after hitting the ball from the pitcher (not the tee) into the outfield and ended up on 2nd, when a slugger on the team hit the ball into center field... my daughter left 2nd base and ran into the outfield and grabbed the ball and threw it to the pitcher, then proceeded to 3rd base :lol: :lol: :lol: Life is good and your story is great to hear. Thanks, KEL