Back Problems

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Tony B
Local (More than 25 post)

Back Problems

Post by Tony B »

Hi all.

Has anyone got any tips on back pain. I am having loads of problems with a pain to one side of my lower back. I have had this problem for 10 years or so but recently it has stopped going away. Doctors seem to be useless - well mine is!

My Doc gave me some pills ( Celecoxib ). They have had no or little effect on my back but my knees are great but I have been suffering some side effects ( short breath and other things I wont mention ) so I have stopped taking them.

I can put up with the pain but it is effecting my surfing big time - cannot put up with that.

Tony B
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Tony,

Age my friend, age. Happens to the best of us. I've had my bouts with back problems usually half way through our surf season. As much as I would like to avoid it, stretching seems to help but I think it's more of a consistent effort and not one where it solves a problem.

Bill Lerner (BillL on the site) is a chiro and may have some ideas. PM him and see what he says.

Given our average age I'm sure this could be one of the more popular threads!

cheers,

Don
Don Harris
Headwax

Post by Headwax »

Try this quick quiz.
Could be job related?
Sit down all day bending over a beautiful set of dentures?

Sometimes the disc pushes out of the verterbrae and leans on a nerve....?
Try reverse curl. This puts disc in correct place and reduces pressureon said nerve.
Lie on floor.
Do a pushup but keep your stomach flat to the floor.
Hold for eighteen seconds.
Repeat till feel better.
Of course if the disc thing isn't your problem it won't help :oops:

Alternately try swimming without kicking.

(don't listen to Don, we aren't ever going to get old)

regards
DrStrange
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by DrStrange »

what Headwax said. Do 10 repititions every few hours all day. If sit much or bend forward do a set or standing do as much of a back bend curving your low back into arch as you can safely do. This will over a fairly short period of time suck bulging disk back into place and help over longer time correct any posturaly defect that is causing problem. Ideally, Pilates or Yoga with really skilled rehabilitatively trained instructor will prevent recurrance.

That Headwax, he a very wise fellow... :wink:
pblsurfboy
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by pblsurfboy »

I agree with the idea of building the core area to help offset back pain.....reverse curls, etc.

Try this at least once a day: do a series of standard crunches and then do the pelvic thrust: lay on back with feet planted flat in a comfortable position near but not too close to your butt.....raise the hips off the ground and squeeze the buttock muscles at the top ---hold--- and release to the flat position.....

Next do reverse crunches.

The crunch bends the spine in one direction, the pelvic thrust does it in the other direction.

Try this series at an extremely SLOW tempo --no rocking back and forth---and go for 10 minutes by the clock. The idea is not the NUMBER of crunches but the TECHNIQUE involved.

At the beginning include your rests in the 10 minute format, as your core area gets stronger try to eliminate the rests inbetween crunch/thrust/reverse crunch. If you're doing them right and watching the clock you will absolutely be dying for that next minute to happen so you can switch exercises.

Also the big old inflatable ball down at the gym (or in your own home) does wonders for core strength.....there are many sites on the web where you can find out how to do this and other back exercises properly.

One thing to add: if it HURTS too much, don't kill yourself trying: go see a professional physical therapist to make sure something SERIOUS is not going wrong with your back.

I broke my back at L1 in a 4 story fall, was paralyzed for about 6 months some 35+ years ago and will always suffer with back pain......if you can help it, stay off the prescribed drugs as they only mask the symptoms and don't do anything to cure the problem....unless you REALLY need them, of course.

I'm not a professional although I have taken courses in physical training, so take what I say on advice only as it is not in any gospel.

Good luck.

RON
My sister'sband: The California Girls
www.thecaliforniagirls.bizland.com
Brendan
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Brendan »

I agree with Ron.
Get it checked out to ensure it is not more serious. In '93 I had lots of lower sciatica back pain like yours. Could not support my own weight most days for 5 months. Chiro, Physio, drugs did not fix it. Went and had a MRI and it was found that I had burst a disc at L5 (would not show up on a x-ray). Had a lamanectamy (removed the insides of the disc) walked out of the hospital 3 days later and have been good ever since. Needed to strengthen stomach and back muscles after the opp though.

Brendan
The only bad surfing day is one where you don't.
Bintang Bob

Post by Bintang Bob »

I've found that the stretching does help. I'm lazy by nature so I only stretch when I'm troubled by the lower back pain. I'm 56 and am still working construction (although I have my own business so I can control the amount of hours I work per day). I seem to have the most difficulties after a long surf session (4 plus hours). I believe the arched back (during paddling) position is the problem? Anyone else experiencing this? and if so, what are you doing to help with the problem..... I'm hoping not to hear surf less!!!!!!!!
Kneel before the majesty of our mother ocean
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

That's a big topic...

I've had three compessed vertebrae, but it's the lower back that seems to always cause the angst.

Core strengthening and stretching are key.

The swiss ball (that inflatable one) is good, as well as a medicine ball and elastic bands.

1. Go to the doc and ask about getting to a professional physical therapist or the like. Hopefully your health insurance will pick that up. That will get you on a plan that's tailored to your problems. I've gone this route, and learned a few stretches and strengthening routines that help

2. There are pre-fab courses out there. I saw Pilates mentioned above. I tried 'Surffitness' before (www.surffitness.com.) There are progressive routines that use the equipment above

3. Stretching: For me, there's always an acute phase. During that, I can't do a whole lot. Some heat, some minor stretching, that's about it. When that subsides, I then work on the entire backside... hamstrings, lower and upper back. Balance that with ab exercises.

Yikes! Late for a meeting!
Willy Kelly

Post by Willy Kelly »

Well i just got back from the DR. he was telling me about my MRI I just had done it seems I have a bulging disc hitting a nerve causing pain down the right leg

not sure what the next step is but Iam hoping the rain will stop so I can surf :twisted:

peace and good waves to all
stu

Post by stu »

Hi Tony
Sorry to hear its not getting better
Just picked up a book for similar reasons
Fit to surf
The surfers guide to strength and conditioning.
I think it was about a tenner, I have found it helps
Stu.
Best bit rediscovering my Knee's
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Analbirth here, I've had stuffed back for 30 odd years, started with sherman syndrome which concaves the vert. causing narrowing of the disk space & forcing the disk to bulge & put pressure on the nerves. Pain +.
Was going to an osteopath for 15 years to alleviate the symptoms. Temp. at best. Mate suggested a phisio on the gold coast, coolangatta - mark day, he's a tier two phisio [ got his masters ] and also a real time ultrasound.
About 8 years ago studies showed people with ongoing cronic back pain who have sustained an injury earlier in life have certain stabilising muscles that stop working and dont know how to switch themselves back on after the injury period passes. These muscles are the inner band of abdominals [ stabilisation tissue ] that run from your backbone right around your ab. cavity to the backbone also the multividus muscles which run the length of your spine vertically.
These mult's are made up of around 87% power tissue & 13% stabilisation tissue. What happens is when an injury occures the inner trap's & the 13% mult's muscles switch off and shearing of the vertabrae occurs causing nerve pinching & muscle spasm.They have to be retrained to work again the way they were intended.
The inner trap's band & the 13% multividus is actually supposed to switch on automatically without you reallising it a fraction of a second before the
2 bands of trapezoid's [power ] and the remaining 87% multividus take over essentially holding the vertabrae in place while you walk, run or whatever. With the ultrasound he showed me how to flex these muscles individually without flexing the others. He gave me a series of exercises
to get em going again. Takes 2 min's before i get out of bed, & you find yourself doing them during the day standing up & it eventually becomes subconcious It worked so well, i only saw him 4 times, then i was on my own. Havn't been back to the osteo either. These studies were published in SPINE a medical mag. Not sure wich issue but it was 8 -9 yrs back.
Having had this back problem for 30 odd yrs & finally being 99% free of pain is something i'd didn't think would happen. DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR
If you want more info ask your local phisiotherapist for a CORE STABILISATION PROGRAM. Good Luck AB
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
Damien o

Post by Damien o »

Me too, although to get over my problems, initially, I had to have a perirendicular block to my L4 L5 ...kneeboarding and nightly excercises had meant a remarkable recovery over the last 12-15 months...the only "problem" is that I HAVE to surf very regularly, eg at least 4 times a week, to continue core strength improvement and flexibility :) Good luck with your continue excercise :) cheers Damien
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony B

Post by Tony B »

As I started this thread last year I thought I had better give you all a quick update:

I am still in pain but not as chronic as last November.

Here is a list of treatment so far.
I have had anti-inflammatory drugs – no effect.
Tried psychology – no effect
Physiotherapy – made it worse
Had an MRI scan that shows a large bulge in the disc between L4 – L5 that is pressing on a nerve root and some thickening of the nerve wall.
I am still on pain killing drugs. I started off taking Tamgisic. Very effective but I was a high as a kite, feeling sick and couldn’t work. I now take Tramadol - this works so well I think I am getting better until I stop taking them.
I am now booked in for an operation to cut off the bulge on the disc. I have had to go private for this as the waiting list on the good old NHS is probably about a year. So I am going in next month.

Things that have helped: Pilates (core strength training). I will never give this up what ever happens. It is the best thing that has happened to me for a long time. I try and surf when ever I can as this keeps up my moral however I dare not try anything to radical though.

Tony
ross

Post by ross »

Tony B,
good luck with the op mate,keep us updated.
good to hear its not beatin ya 8)

Ross