asthma

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Jimputz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

asthma

Post by Jimputz »

Hello out there!

Over the last 4 years or so I've developed some pesky allergies which have unfortunately led to a classic case of "adult-onset asthma." I've had to adjust my exercise routine (no more long runs) and have come close to sucking up lungfulls of saltwater way too many times. For these reasons I've had to be real picky about the surf conditions I paddle out into. I've found that my ability to hold my breath for long periods of time while getting thrown, slammed, and smashed has changed dramatically. :oops:
I take a couple hits on a puffer before entering the water but sometimes they don't seem to help. I've thought of keeping one tucked in my wetsuit somewhere, or when the water gets warm enough, a surftrunk pocket.

My question is of course: Do any of you guys and gals out there in KB land suffer from asthma, and if so what are some different ways of dealing with it????

The more powerful and brutal the waves are, the harder it is for me to not have asthma related issues out in the surf. I might be answering my own question for it's probably all in my head and I just need to get into ZEN mode while getting thrashed underwater. :roll:

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated!

Jimbo.
ScottMac
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beeline2.0

Re: asthma

Post by Beeline2.0 »

[..
Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mutiny

azmacort

Post by mutiny »

jim, Ive suffered with asthma my whole life, it wasnt until my wife became a nurse practitioner that we realized it's controlable with an inhaled steroid. ask your doctor about Azmacort. It is a little expensive w/ ins. $40.00 but worth every bit . Ive tailored the med for my own needs ( 2 suggested inhalations a day three times a day, but I use it once in the morning and one at night) I have my albuterol for backup but I rarely use it!

I've been telling Ler for years to get to the dr. and have them at least try the azmacort on his asthma (now that I think of it, he's wheezing cos he's an old ****) The first time I found out Ler had asthma, he and I were surfing cable cars off huntington cliffs, and that shore break can unrelenting as some of you know, after we get out the back ler reaches down into the cuff of his leg and whips out his canister of albuterol and starts huffing! It was a fun memorable surf for two asthmatic kneelos.
Anyway, jim definetly ask about the azmacort, it is a lifesaver.
tom b.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Hey Jim,
Mutiny's right in his last comment about the azmacort being a life saver. If you're calling it asthma it's probably b/c your MD, or other provider, has evaluated you completely enough (with pulmonary function tests and all..) and told you you have it. If so, the mainstay of treatment is inhaled corticosteroids assuming you have frequent enough symptoms to require them. If not, the the puffer (probably albuterol) is enough. Azmacort is an example of a lower potency steroid. They are safe and easy to use; you should ask your provider about them. You don't want to have a "more severe" episode out in the surf.. If needed, serevent is an example of a long-acting bronchodilator that is 2 puffs twice daily and is added on if the steroids aren't quite holding the attacks in check. It's ok to use the albuterol on top of this as well but frequent use would be cause for a return visit to your provider.
If Ler has had success using his inhaler in the surf then go for it. Better to have all options available. I'd also keep a fresh one in the car or pack as a backup to it not working quite right or getting washed away in a big closeout or something.
Good luck!
Jimputz

asthma relief

Post by Jimputz »

Hey guys! Thanks for all the suggestions and tales of woe. It's comforting to know I'm not the only kb'er out there suffering from bouts of asthma.

Scott, I too have sampled a whole spectrum of allergy relief meds but haven't been as lucky as you have. Did the Claritin thing for over a year along with Albuterol as needed and Atrovent twice a day. Can't even remember if I tried the Allegra you use or not. Seems like every 4 months or so my PCP would change up and have me try a new regimen. Also, I too suffer from that dam post nasal drip with that dam cough and have been using Flonase, although I do remember using Nasonex at one time. Too many meds...........too many years.

Beeline, I've discovered my asthma tends to be more stress induced, although it did cause me to stop running so..........? I get it on the job at times and have to hit the Albuterol every so often. It hits me hardest out in the surf where exercise and adrenaline mixed with a little stress/fear combined bring it on, although we've all had a huge unwanted break lately with the local surf conditions the way they are! :?

Tom, nice to have an NP in the family huh? Thanks for sharing the great story about you and Ler at HB Cliffs hittin' on the puffer. Crack-up! When you mentioned Azmacort it rang a bell...............I found two partially used puffers in my medicine cabinet.......long forgotten. Time to dust them off and give'em another shot.

spBrad, Sounds like you definitely have some experience in medicine and pharmacology. Thanks for the great advice! I'm listening, and will give the Azmacort another try.

Thanks again everyone. I will hopefully meet some of you at the Newpt Gathering on the 20th. You probably won't recognize me for it will be my first.

Jimbo.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimputz

Post by Jimputz »

Hey Beeline,

Sorry to hear about your pet allergies. I couldn't even imagine having to deal with that. :(
Interesting info about the dander vs. saliva issue, but it seems there are sometimes solutions to just about every problem we encounter in our lives.
Cats have never been a problem for me, luckily. My parents have owned cats and dogs since I was old enough to terrorize them, and have always had friends, girlfriends, etc. who have owned them.

I currently own a cat, seeing as my condo is not conduscive to dog ownership, and have had one potential relationship with a gorgeous woman kind of fizzle due to the fact that she couldn't stand in the doorway for more than 15 seconds before her eyes and nose started draining, sneezing, the works. More than a mild case, I'm sure you can relate. Of course that wasn't the only reason her and I didn't work, but it was an important one!! Sad but funny at the same time. :roll:

I have printed out your post and will file it for possible future usage. Thanks for the interesting information.

Dawn patrol for Tuesday and Wednesday. :twisted: Will be checking Newpt and HB state. Fingers and Vipers crossed.

Jimbo.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KED
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by KED »

Have had asthma since childhood. Used Albuterol inhalers for about 15 years. Got to the point where I was using the inhaler 3,4,5 times a day. My Dr. put me on Advair (you inhale it, it's a discus). Now I use an Albuterol inhaler maybe four times a year. Advair may very well be made up of similar compounds as those found in Azmacort. Since being on Advair (I now self regulate my intake and am using less than half of the prescribed daily dose) my immune system has gotten a LOT stronger. I do not have the reaction to the triggers/allergens that used to keep me dependent on Albuterol. I'm still allergic to all the things I was allergic to before I started using Advair, but the reactions are no longer anywhere near as bad.
Also... I stopped participating in all sports that take place in allergen filled environments (cut grass, wheat grasses, certain animal danders). I now participate in nothing but water sports - PARENTS WITH ASTHMATIC CHILDREN PLEASE TAKE NOTE - which are all 100% allergen free.
Diet... cut down on (or cut out completely) dairy products. They are mucous forming and will contribute to keeping respiratory congestion and wheezing (colds as well as allergies) around a lot longer.
HEPA filters are good things to have in a bedroom or where you spend a lot of time.
To increase lung capacity I started a swimming regimen. Works wonders. Some surfers here in Hawaii walk, while carrying a heavy rock, under water for as long as they can. They swear by it for increasing lung capacity.
Hope some of this is helpful. The bottom line for me is to do whatever it takes. Asthma can affect the quality of life, but in most cases it does not have to. You may have to rearrange a few things, but do your best to stay away from environments that have allergens that trigger congestion and/or wheezing.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Have heard a lot of good stories about this curing asthma including from a Nurse who had it bad (ER trips etc). google: ""buteyko breathing"" and you'll get tons of info.

Also worth noting that Mayo clinic research showed over 90% w/ chronic sinusitis had underlying fungal infections which antibiotics won't touch. There are things that will help those though like oregano essential oil combined w/ low glycemic diet