Nose Plugs

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

caples_creek
Local (More than 25 post)

Nose Plugs

Post by caples_creek »

I guess my Roman nose has been causing me havoc this summer here in Northern Cal. I'm currently in a bout with a second sinus infection, I'm through my course of antibiotics and no improvement. Puzzled, the doc set me up with some nasal steroids. (that's all I need is a bigger nose :)

I have to stay out of the water for a bit, but when I return I'm starting to think preventatively.

Does anyone have any experience with nose plugs while surfing? There are obviously cons, but has anyone has some success using them? if so, what brands etc.

I'm getting a little desperate so any help would be greatly appreciated.
surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

I feel for you. My ears kept me out of the water most of last winter. Now, whenever I go out, I wear my Doc's ProPlugs and a neoprene lid in winter and a nylon surfing cap in warmer water.

I'll ask my medical contacts and get back to you.
kbing since plywood days
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-man

Post by K-man »

Part of the problem is the increase in the number and strength of red tides.and various algae blooms in our ocean.[search red tides and health effects]Some folks [myself]react with flu like symptoms,itchy eyes,throat,and ears.Almost impossible to sleep at night....Sound familiar?No amount of flushing is going to help.
nose plugs...Most don't work very well-too wimpy.Try searching mountain misers,they sell plugs used by yakers-about 6-8$
The ones I use are heavy duty-stainless steel spring wire.rubber coated-work real good,and hold up under ocean conditions.Can't locate the brand,will continue looking.Try big name sporting stores-REI,big five,etc.
If not for these plugs Id be out of the water
Tell the doc about the red tide,maybe he can research it?

K.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

easy, when ya get home after a hard surf session. drop belly 1st on to your bed then hang your head over the end and see the tide flow out heh heh (dont let your wife see ys doo this or ya might be on the couch a couple days lol). of course there is always the inopertune moment when you are at the market and you reach down for a bottle of water in front of a hot senorita and the tide gushes out from the previous surf session lol.

note: if my nose doesnt drain my doc gave me a nasal spray that clears me right up and im out the next day. i think its called "Nasonex" :oops:
caples_creek

Post by caples_creek »

You all rock. Thanks for the advice. Additional comments welcome.

In my research I've found that a dry nasal cavity is more succeptible to infection (because it's constricted) and that a humidifier helps keep the passages more open when you sleep so that they can drain. I like the idea of plugs if feasible, to just cut out the possibility all together until my sinuses fully heal for a few months.

There are certain beaches that tend to do it to me more than others for obvious reasons, this particular infecton I have is hella stuborn. The irony is that I'm a civil engineer specializing in stormwater facilities, a few of my projects are actually stormwater outfall diversions and treatment in beach communities and here I am, down and out from water pollution, I guess I need to work faster.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

do the nose wash mentioned above after surf or every day but use salt water; easier on the membrane (and for me that's the only brane I got).

also find either grapefruit seed extract nose spray or better still xylitol nose spray and use it regularly after surfing to kill any alien kooties.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Just be sure to dilute the GSE, like one drop per ounce of watter. Also add a pinch of salt. Snarfle it up or use an eye dropper then blow it out. Or use a Neti pot. A what?
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackG
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Nose Wash

Post by JackG »

If you are prone to sinusitus, then a daily nose wash is your best buddy. When I lived in Silicon Valley the combination of bay water (windsurfing at Coyote and 3rd Ave) and smog did me in. What works for me is this:
  • 1 cup clean water
    1/2 pure salt -- I use ground rock salt, but kosher salt usually has no additives
I mix it in a glass, then 30 seconds in the uWave to bring it up to body tempature. Now grab that snot-sucker (aka nasal aspirator) you used on your kid, fill it up, and squirt it up a nostril. It feels like being caught inside on a big day. Now do the other nostril. Squirt high and low. Squirt it in one, and let it flow out the other. Did I mention you should do this over a sink? Squirt it high and feel it run down the back of your throat. Now enjoy as the swelling in your sinuses subsides, the pain goes away, and you can stop swearing at your wife. (TMI?)

This provides great allergy relief, cleans dirty ocean water out, and flushes out pockets of infection trying to get critical mass. This saves me from the ENT when the grass blooms in the spring. Maybe it will help you with the algae bloom in the summer.