In Training

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

caples_creek
Local (More than 25 post)

Train

Post by caples_creek »

The usual fitness for now, I'm headed on a trip mid Sept, but when I get back it's going to be a lot of Aquatic Park in SF, (swimming in the bay with a 4/3 on) that works the best for me, other than that, yoga, running some weights etc.

I saw some guy at Montara on Sat. jump in the water (wetsuit and goggles) and swim what must have been a half mile out and start swimming north. I wonder if he knows that Whitey likes to hang out there quite a bit? :shock:
SCGARY

Re: Train

Post by SCGARY »

caples_creek wrote:The usual fitness for now, I'm headed on a trip mid Sept, but when I get back it's going to be a lot of Aquatic Park in SF, (swimming in the bay with a 4/3 on) that works the best for me, other than that, yoga, running some weights etc.

I saw some guy at Montara on Sat. jump in the water (wetsuit and goggles) and swim what must have been a half mile out and start swimming north. I wonder if he knows that Whitey likes to hang out there quite a bit? :shock:
I used to swim around the pier at SC. Don't do it anymore since that poor women got killed swimming around the Avila Beach pier.
KAVA
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KAVA »

I used to swim around the pier at SC. Don't do it anymore since that poor women got killed swimming around the Avila Beach pier
by SC do you mean san clemente? because the lady that dessed up like a seal and was bit on the head by a great white was up in San Luis Obispo county a good couple hundred miles away. huge diffrence in the area around san luis and san clemente

also a note on the end of a story in the liberal *cough* i mean LA Times lol
Among defenders of the sharks, it's fashionable to say that we "enter the shark's house" when we go in the ocean and must accept the risk of attack. There's an undercurrent of guilt in this bravado, as though by "entering the food chain" we can somehow expiate our forefathers' sins in exterminating other species, such as the grizzly bear featured on the California flag but hunted out of the state a century ago. The woman who loved to swim at Avila Beach is routinely talked of as though she deserved her death. She looked like a seal in her fins and wetsuit and was swimming near seals, thus she brought it on herself; the shark is blameless. Her death was an unfortunate cost, we are told, of keeping an important endangered species alive.

This may be true, but it seems gruesome and an easy moralization for people who do not go into the ocean.

The urban beaches of Southern California are not the same as an oceanic "wilderness" like the Farallon Islands. They are our backyard. We should not have to forfeit our right to security the minute we step off dry sand — especially because the scientific case for the great white shark's immediate endangerment becomes less convincing with each new sighting.

Knowing more about the shark is vital. We should demand funding for the science required to make the right decisions. And we should end the blanket protection offered these animals when they venture near our beaches. Sharks that menace or attack people should be managed in the same way as problem bears and mountain lions: captured and relocated if possible, or killed if necessary.
check this out heh heh!
http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/p ... k_news.htm
Last edited by KAVA on Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

SantaCruzGary

uh? oops! lol :lol: and here i thought the world revolved around me? (sarcasm) :shock:
suprised a didnt think of Santa Catalina heh heh
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

The attack on Lewis Boren is probably the best known California white shark incident. On the morning of 19 December, 1981, Boren had been surfing with friends. After lunch, he returned to surf at Spanish Bay (near Pt. Joe), alone. The last anyone saw of him was when his friends talked to him at 2:00 that afternoon. The next day, two surfers found his board washed up on the shore. A large chunk had been bitten out of it. They found the missing piece only a short distance away. It wasn't until December 24th that Boren's body was found. From the wounds, it appeared that he had been lying on his board with his arms stretched out when a large white shark struck from the left side. The shark bit through both Boren and his board. Boren's wound reached from his left armpit to his left hip, and more than halfway across his body. From the tooth count and size of the bite, the shark was estimated to be 17-19ft. long. Water conditions that day were rough, with average temperature and extremely good visibility.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson