In Training

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

In Training

Post by surfhorn »

OK. Fall and Winter are just around the corner. After a flat summer with little to ride, what are YOU doing to get in shape for when there will be waves of consequence?

Lets see what everyone's workout schedules/activities look like. Drop and give me 20.
kbing since plywood days
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

I play sme real competitive tennis about 3-5 days a week. Body surf alot and my vehicle of choice for THIS summer my ...............NUEMATIC :lol:
Last edited by W.G. Facenda on Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-man

Post by K-man »

Not many flat spots here dan,You go down,ya gotta come back up.15 mins down is more like 30 min. up :lol:.Been running up and down these hills for awhile,and I do bitch a bit,but Do stay in decent shape.
Running?bikeing?skateing.weights.....Disgusting forms of self indulgence.I'm a purist and damned proud :lol:

K
JackG
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Paddling

Post by JackG »

I take my 9'6" Yater down 251 steps to the beach, paddle two laps out to the kelp beds and back, then haul that #&%$#@ heavy board back up the 251 steps.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1+mesa+la ... &t=k&hl=en
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

I WORKOUT 3-4 TIMES A WEEK USING THIS FREE WORKOUT PROGRAM http://fitrex.com/.I PLAN TO DO ALOT OF HUNTING THIS YEAR, SO IN CALIFORNIA THAT EQUATES TO LOTS AND LOTS OF HIKING.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Hey Jack, have you lived there long? About 15? years ago I lived and surfed on the Mesa while in Acup. school(when I didn't want to drive and just wanted a get wet). Rented room at Mike Love's compound (what a zoo). Only lasted a few months as the living sitch sucked so I moved--several times (typical SB)
Bud

Post by Bud »

We surf Goat Island all summer.

Trade winds blow in constant chop that piles onto a shelf off to the side of a little island, about 1/4 mile from shore.
If we are lucky the hurricaines from Mexico whip up something stronger.

No checking it first.
Park and rush.
If you check it it'll discourage you.
It's that........ baa aa aad. :lol:
It's nearly always on shore and beat to hell.

It's in a very pretty place. Water is clear & warm and there's no buildings on the shore just lush tropical jungle. Truely looks like Indo. (On the rare days it's offshore and real swell it is.)

Even if it's knee-high to a kneeboarder you get a work out from the 10 minute paddle out and back again. So that's a 20 minute cardio work out if you want.

It's real good for staying in tune and limber. You get to bash all kinds of sections and crumbling lips. The right kind of small wave board makes it really fun.

If you can make a good session out of that mess then you are surfing well. Good surf is a breeze after a summer of junk surfing.

This summer I added an extra work out.
I got to swim around a lot helping my daughter learn to surf with her friends Kaea and Vailoa Latronic. There's been a number of dribbly West swells at Sunset recently............just right for learning.

So I get to swim out to Sunset Pt., push the kid into waves, bodysurf in to fetch her and do it all over again. Usually about 10 waves worth.
Too much fun watching the kids get stoked. :D :D

The other day Mike Latronic got me to swim to Rocky Pt. and back with him. About 2 miles total.
No problem.........other than a rash in my arm pit.
We use to do this a lot before we started surfing the Goat, as well as run to Pipe and back on the beach.
BORING! plus the running just made me stiff.

I guess I'm ready???
Unless the first real swell is 20 +.
That has happened before, one mid September a few years back.
No warm up with swells getting gradually bigger and stronger.
Just BAM ! Freaking mountanous waves first swell.
:shock:
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Jog a bit down the hill. I go out at Southpeak and paddle up to Northpeak. After surfing I paddle back down to Southpeak. Keep a good pace back up the hill. I walk briskly into work and then at work I take the steps instead of the elevator and try for about 25 flights/day.
It probably keeps me at some minimum level of fitness if 1-2 days/week.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I work at a golf course. Every day we mow the greens using walking mowers. Using a pedometer years ago I found I walked an average of 3 to 5 miles in a 2 hour period. Couple this with the manual raking of the bunkers and its quite a good workout. But probebly my biggest inspiration to stay in shape is watching the pitifully out of shape golfers, young and old alike, whom except for use of a golf cart, would never have the stamina to complete 18 holes :oops: .
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
SCGARY
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by SCGARY »

Lots and lots of lap swimming, 2k-4k meters 2x week. Occasional ocean swim when I don't feel like a giant fishing lure. Swim part of it with fins. If you can do this you will be in good shape for those big days.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

hey jerry why are you following me around? lol stalker!!!! :shock:
But probebly my biggest inspiration to stay in shape is watching the pitifully out of shape golfers, young and old alike, whom except for use of a golf cart, would never have the stamina to complete 18 holes .
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

This is a true story: The only time in my life I was the victim of localism. I returned to my truck from my surf session to find this one word waxed on my windshield: GOLFER Oh, the humiliation :!: :oops:
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Jerry- funny friends! I can only last about 3 holes - something to do with ADD I think.

I started this and didn't post my program. For most of my life, my training for surfing was.....surfing: KBing; short/longboarding in the summer; lot'za bodysurfing.

But with age and quite a few worn out body parts, I have to actually do daily maintainence routines to keep healthy- as a surfer and as a musician:

+ Arms stretches with rubber band: I have the band on my stationery bike and do a lot pulls everytime I walk by and also while watching TV. Keeps paddling muscles in top form and good work for mid section.

+ Daily walk from Rio del Mar Beach to the end of Seacliff pier then to end of Seacliff State Park. Then 2-3 times up/down stairs then back to Rio. All walking- no running/pounding on joints.

+ Stationery bike......sometimes.

Also I watch my diet - mostly controlled through portion size and drinking plenty of fluids. I've curtailed my sweet tooth - which has helped a lot.
kbing since plywood days
doc

Post by doc »

Work. Everything from carrying boats to raking clams to plain ugly construction. What ya might call terminally blue collar. With heavy lifting.

Riding the bike to work too, and rowing in sliding-seat singles. Might treat myself to a rowing machine ( Concept II ) this fall, being as the half century mark has been less than kind to me and I want to fight back. Cross-country skiing if we have another record snow year.

should do, no?

doc...
markgnome

Post by markgnome »

eating more vegetables, drinking more OJ, drinking less alcohol--swimming....