Kneeboarding......R.I.P

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

ScottMac
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

TC wrote >>>
Mate if you are going to use a quote in your response please us the entire quote
ditto back at ya bro! my post stinks of comedy, jest, and sarcasm. lighten up! :lol:
lol= laughing out loud
rofl= rolling on the floor laughing
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

man, there have been some great replys and a lot of good stuff comin in. a lot of stuff from people who don't post often
what can i say? "im a post whore" lol!
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Craig
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Craig »

Velveeta's fish food :shock:

sTiLl a gRoM :!:
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

Like most of you, I like being different myself.With the black boards and wild designs that I ride, alot of people ask me what they are. I`m happy to tell them. Because I love what I do and have a great time doing it.
DavidG
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by DavidG »

Whilst I think that the internet and really good sites like this one and kneeboardsurfing.co.uk & kneelo.org in the UK present kneeboarding in a positive and interesting way for the most part they are 'talking/preaching to the converted'. The place that gets the younger guys surfing kneeboards is actually seeing a good knee-rider at the beach and then trying it themselves.
I was lucky at about 16 (in the mid 70's) I watched Chaz McCall knee-ride a home made spoon in a huge shorebreak (in howling/gale force winds on the south coast, UK) that no local would even try to ride. He then talked to me (a little grom) treated me will respect and though I only spoke to him for a short while he created an interest in kneeboarding that has never gone away.
So much of surfing and the surfing life style has become manstream fashion with shortboarding being at the forefront of the commercially driven brands, that something as strange as kneeboard is always best promoted by actually trying it.
steve burpo
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by steve burpo »

I kneeboard because it's fun.
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

I think that we all kneeboard besides it being fun, we like to be different from the masses that stand-up surf.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

How to keep kneeriding alive?? It's very simple, recruit the local groms. I have personally introduced 7 groms to the sport in our area and they were all imediately STOKED. They created the BBK on their own and are already a presense at Salt Creek.

Why?? You may have forgotten, but kneeriding is easier to learn then stand-up surfing. Also, it requires less upper body strength due to the use of fins (pre-adolescents have much less upper body strength the an adult). Finally, the sensation of speed is greater closer to the wave in the kneeling position. All of these things make an immediate impression on the little guys.

It you want to keep the sport alive, then take personal responsiblity by mentoring groms in the sport. The process is fun, its rewarding, and, it will keep you young!! The stoke these guys generate is too cool to believe and almost as much fun to watch as actually kneeriding.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Why?? You may have forgotten, but kneeriding is easier to learn then stand-up surfing. Also, it requires less upper body strength due to the use of fins (pre-adolescents have much less upper body strength the an adult). Finally, the sensation of speed is greater closer to the wave in the kneeling position. All of these things make an immediate impression on the little guys.

using this kind of persuasive logic.....would'nt a bodyboard be even easier to learn? would'nt a bodyboard require even less upper body strength?
would'nt they be even closer to the water?
would'nt a bodyboard be much cheaper and last far longer? get on the bus ect?

what really makes kneeboarding special?
can it be defined and pakaged and marketed and sold?
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Mr. Manners might have just revealed a secret greater than what's protected by the Priory of Scion and Opus Dei... the Velveeta Fish!

It's all in the wrapper... I mean 'glass' job. Pure velocity through the entrance, but pig-dogs the rest of the tube. Seven day rides have been recorded...

Wait, what was the subject? I'm with Kava... I'm all filler, no killa!

OK, OK, I'll take option E) All the above

(Insert Keep on Truckin' logo here)
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

" I'TS ALIVE"!
(Dr. Threadenstine)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

I hope to gracefully end my thread-jack by suggesting your avatar looks like an early Velveeta Fish test pilot, Mr. SR! :wink: Glad you put up with my obscurities!

Back on topic... good responses! I'm actually more in Jack's camp in that it will be a bit before the next generation is ready. And, like Jack, until then it's:

- Surf and have fun
- When asked, respond as a thoughtful and open-minded advocate
- Keep on talking and sharing ideas. I can't believe what the last 10 years or so has done for the community! Even though the numbers are small per beach, it no longer feels that way.
- Board design. Be sure to keep me away from any such discussions. I get this tick and start swinging my cane...

Cheers, SR! I'm out for the eve!
john -

Post by john - »

to hell with groms :twisted:

just clone us :!: :P