Kneeboarding......R.I.P

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

KED
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by KED »

E.Q. - are you reading these posts? Maybe someday we'll get to see you k-boarding on one of the major networks, or the big screen :P :lol: :P :lol:
Be who you are and say what you feel.
The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind.
eqKneelo
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by eqKneelo »

KED-
I'm hoping one day to get a shot, but I want to be sure it is VERY flattering for the sport.
Have something cool written for one of these new surf shows ("John From Cincinati" is filming in Imperial Beach... it's for HBO, from Deadwood/NYPD Blue creator David Milch) or get invited to one of these Charity Surf Contests in real surf and just go NUTS. :wink:
I've been asked to do a few things, but they all sounded SO CHEESY that nothing good would come from it for our sport.
Gonna pick my shot and make it count. 8)
EQ
KED

Post by KED »

E.Q. Wow! A celebrity surf event! Now there's a great idea! I have heard that Adam Sandler and Cameron Diaz are both pretty good surfers, as well as the woman (forget her name) who starred in Blue Crush. Also... I'd bet the Irons brothers would help organize something... they are very supportive of various "causes" and even organize their own annual event on Kauai.
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

I don't think either Sandler or Diaz or any other Hollywood celebrity surfer I've seen could be classified as "pretty good surfers" -- at least not from the photos I've seen. EQ would tear them all a new one riding backwards.

Now THAT would be something to see: EQ going ballistic at Cloudbreak or even Restaurants, while the wannabe Malibu types are scrambling for the shoulder with their floaties on. No doubt he'd be leaving a bit of an impression on even the likes of Slater and the Irons bros.
:lol:
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
KED

Post by KED »

Good point :oops: :oops: :oops:
ross

Post by ross »

wouldn't that be awsome!

Start schmoozing EQ!!! :lol:
fooj

Post by fooj »

Since its Good Friday here's a thought. Maybe kneeboarding is the Jesus of the surfing world. Maybe it needs to die. Only then it can be resurrected with a new purpose and direction. Ha! Only considering the title of this thread.
bongbong
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Only considering the title of this thread.
So then R.I.P. would stand for Rise In Power...
C J Gagner
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by C J Gagner »

The main thread of this post seems to be whats cool or not cool. WHOO CAAAARES WHATS COOL!!!!! We all knee because its soooo fun! You never see anyone divorce there wife because of what other peoplesay about them! So if my wife is fat, ugly, has a big red pimple on the end of her nose and rides a broom (for those ofyou who may comment on that she doesn't) so what I love her. So we too love our way of surfing and if it dies it dies. It will do it after I either am too old to surf or am dead. If others dont know what it is to take off so late you freefall into the barrel and still make it or what it feels like to be so close to the face that you actually feel like they are part of the wave so be it. I do however feel, as the author of this subject said about the history of surfing, it will not die. It will not die because fun IS cool and kneeboarding is SOOOO FUN!
Though the course may change sometimes rivers always reach the sea!!!!
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

how about.....
really insignificant posting (no one in particular (liar!) just in general)
reality insufficiency problem
rectally inserted probe
really inane posturing
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Bumps

Post by Bumps »

People do stuff because it's fun and makes them feel good. Kneeboarding will keep going as long as there are people that want to try and have fun. http://www.kneeboardsurfaustralia.com/b ... %20set.htm, shows a photo of a young grommet. There are pictures of him in the photolog of the comp, having a great time with his mates.

The biggest issue as I see it and I'll apologise if someone else has already mentioned it, are the shapers. The decline in the number of kneeboarders is being reflected in the number of shapers that are still shaping.

I know that in WA, the number of good shapers is now down to one, Mark Fitzpatrick (Foo) still shapes , but who's going to take his place. I know in the past there where a number - Ross O'Brian, Neil Byrd, Mark Fitz to name a few. In sydney, the situation is similar. I'm now 47 and have a few alternatives on shapers, but what will happen when this generation of shapers decides that they need to concentrate on improving their quality of life - making surfboards is rather toxic. Toxic and health are not compatible.

Enough of my rambling, but maybe we should classify these guys as National Treasures (Like what the Japanese do with their craftsman), gather them all up, put them into self contained, life supporting shaping bays and let them shape 24/7. Creating a huge stockpile of kneeboards for the betterment of mankind or is that kneekind.

Worth a thought, I reckon

See ya in Indo, 11 days to go!!!! :D
ross

Post by ross »

ahumm(clearing throat :lol: )

Flashpoint Surfing has an apprentice.
He's a spritely ( red hot, in a full face helmet,kind of way)looking 32 yr old.

After 12 months ,he's got the whole getting coffee/cleaning the shaping bay thing down. Among other duties :P .

And recently had to fork out for a carton (of coopers) for the lads in the factory( his turn he was informed :lol: ).

Of course in true apprentice/ co-worker form, he didn't get any. :lol:

seriously though, i've been having a ball :wink: and never thought i'd find something that i would enjoy as much as actually being in the water.
DYdamo

Post by DYdamo »

ahhhh yes,
the old "your turn for the beers"call...
they'll never let you back in if you did'nt do it,although the trick is mate
just take the beers straight to Bennett st so you'd be good for at least a month :lol: :lol:
I'm interested in apathy
Bumps

Post by Bumps »

Ross ,

Ahhh, so Bruce has an apprentice, young potter eh! Good to have you out of the cupboard and buying the sages a real beer. Ever had to use the red button yet?

Regards

Bumps
john -

Post by john - »

DYdamo wrote: 1 of 3

Hey DYdamo does that make you Porthos, Aramis, or Athos? Im a shoein for D'Artagnan. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ross...there is nothin better than liking ones work...then it aint really workin!