Knee Knots

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

quadfin
Legend (Contribution King!)

Knee Knots

Post by quadfin »

I made the transition from longboards and knee paddling to kneeboards 30+ years ago, and my knee knots are still with me.

Better deck pads and less time in the water have mellowed the knots, but they will tear open occasionally.

Anyone had any problems from knee knots?

Post by Guest »

Hey Quad,
I have some pretty ugly kneeknots but they don't seem to give me problem. They have kinda turned to mush over the years and are more like pads than knots but I remember having problems with a constance open sore that never seemed to heal. I have no suggestions other than neoprene kneepads (extra?) to protect your knees.
DarcyM

knee knots

Post by DarcyM »

I've never had knots but when I was younger I used to have real problems with open sores on the knees. The first one started with a minor scrape from sliding into third base that wouldn't heal because of the salt water and constant abrasion and impact from kneeboarding. Others seemed to open up little knee craters for no particular reason at all. I used to use this liquid skin product -- nasty stuff, a lot like nail polish -- it would protect the open sore (for a little while) and keep it dry so it could heal. Before that I'd tried all sorts of band-aids, tape, and gauze bandage, all to little effect because it would always come off in the water. Always hated wearing a wetsuit (still do) but a full suit would definitely cushion the knee.

It's been years since I've had any, though. Guess when we get older our skin gets tougher.

dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I used to have a problem with sores on my toes from KBing each and every day (ah, to be a youth again....).

All it took was one small, grain of sand, grinding away between the Duck Feet and my toe, to open up a nasty sore. I tried Band Aids, white tape, electrician's tape - just about every adhesive to cover the wounds.

I finally started using bits of foam over the first bandadge then taping the entire mess together.

Well, you know how lazy some of us surfers can get so I wouldn't change the bandage for days on end and when I did....WHEW!!! It smelled like the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor after an anchovie die-off!

Now, I make sure I pop off my swim fin and rinse out any particles that happen to migrate inside. I don't wait until the next wave - I do it immediately.

Booties/fin sox also help but I go bare foot unless its the dead of winter.

Dan
kbing since plywood days
Craig
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Knee Knots

Post by Craig »

I never had to much trouble with knee knots (small ones). But oh! the toe knots from hours and hours in the fins as a kid. After awhile the quit hurting & bleeding and turned into hard pea shaped looking toe nobbies. There still there but not as big. Fin slippers took care of it.

Still a Grom !
sTiLl a gRoM
quadfin

Knots

Post by quadfin »

And I thought I was the only one crazy enough to use the liquid bandage stuff.

Tried the neoprene knee pads but lost the feel to the board and they would shift around.

Always have been a warm water surfer and I don't even own a wetsuit right now.

I have been using the stuff that they sell at hardware stores and Walmart for shelf liners for deck pads for the last few years and it has given me good feel and traction. Use 3M adhesive on the bottom of the pad and seal edges with marine grade silicone chased with a hair dryer to get a thin, strong, seal.
red

knee pads and open wounds

Post by red »

Many of the commercially available deck grip pads for K/B are too hard, so don't supply the necessary grip.

Having moved countries several times I've had to figure out generic names for the best rubber for deck grip. Always looked for a cross-linked, closed cell material. Generally these are expanded polyethelenes. I've found 8-15mm optimal thickness. You can melt wax onto the surface (this prevents much of the really bad rash you can get). But, since I almost always wear a suit , I just rough up the surface of the pads and fine the edges with sandpaper, to improve water flow.

If you have suppurating sores, I suggest you try plastic skin. Spray a good layer on before you go surfing. This prevents the scab "melting" in the water and getting gouged deeper. Start using plastic skin on the littlest scrape, and you'll avoid progressing to pain stage. Just make sure the wound is clean, and leave the wound open to the air as much as possible, so the plastic skin does not seal in bacteria that cause infection.

If you've got holes on knees or top of feet, then cover with a suit or booties. A little discomfort prevents months of hassle.